• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Getting serious in C++ - now what do I actually need?

Started by option, June 20, 2008, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

option

I've been researching lots of stuff lately and a friend and I are getting closer to actually begin working on a bot. Now, just to make sure, I would appreciate some help figuring out a list of what I am gonna actually need, to be able to start and complete a basic D2XP console chatbot.

-Packet Buffer and Debuffer classes
-Hashing ... BNCSutil? Lockdown? MBNCSutil? (confused  :()
-Any other function libraries for various stuff?
-Good tools, packet documentation, (BNETdocs redux, ersan's bnetdocs backup)
-Winsock knowledge
-Good pointer knowledge, memcpy knowledge (for pulling information out of packets and stuff)
-TCP/IP knowlege
-Endian-ness knowlege, Hexadecimal knowledge / Base 2 (binary knowledge) for packets (this is what I've been working on a lot recently)
-Knowledge of structures such as WORDS, DWORDS, BYTES, Filetimes, NTStrings, Non-NT Stings, and their sizes (I.e. unsigned long int for a DWORD, unsigned short for a WORD, char = byte, things like that)
-Byte / bit shifting
-And lastly, ethereal for sniffing, capturing packets, observing their structures, and interpreting information.

Now, this probably seems extremely noob (because it is), but although there is a lot of information for beginners there is no "comprehensive" guide to actually starting out, so this is what I've gathered, and I want to make sure I've got a foot in the right direction. Any other newbie tips for a legit first timer would also be helpful because we are serious about this and are looking for all the information we can get.

Thanks in advance!

-Sam

EDIT: And I might add that I am extra noob because I learned a lot in Visual Basic but was encouraged by many here to stop while I wasn't too far into it, and learn it in C++ for various reasons :P And that's exactly what I did haha

EDIT 2: Definitely added bit shifting to the list.
option's BNET Development Blog
Current project: Fully-modular 100% C++ SCBW ChatBot
Current Task: Write the Packet Debuffer
New to BNET development like myself? Read and learn.
http://bnetdev.tech-vault.net/

Sorc.Polgara

Seems about right.

Any other function libraries for various stuff?

Might want to take a look into some of the various functionality available to you in the STL too if you're going to use C++.  And if you're intent on making it a learning process, make sure to understand from at least from a high level the underlying concepts of what you use in the STL.  i.e. the data structures

You have a lot on your plate, and I wish you the best of luck.

Kp

Will Ethereal never die?  It was renamed a long time ago, and people are still picking up the old buggy versions.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

MyndFyre

Quote from: Kp on June 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
Will Ethereal never die?  It was renamed a long time ago, and people are still picking up the old buggy versions.

What Kp is trying is to get Wiresharp instead of Ethereal.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

K

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on June 22, 2008, 02:02 PM
What Kp is trying is to get Wiresharp instead of Ethereal.
In case you have trouble googling Wiresharp: http://www.wireshark.org/. :P

Kp

[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!