• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Programming Languages in 10 years

Started by Huendin, April 08, 2008, 04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hostile

Quote from: Huendin on April 08, 2008, 04:34 AM
What's a couple good programming languages that are worth going to college for?..as in still going to be around, obviously remodeled, in 10 years.

1: Fuck all the idiots here who contradict themselves (UserLoser) and say Java is nasty. Installing the runtime for Java is no different in theory than having the runtimes for C++ installed with the Operating system (forgot about .net?)
They have different scopes, obviously but just as often as you'll need a more efficient language like C++ for the system, you would need something as scalable as Java which doesnt need to be ported.. I mean who needs that, its so easy to port code and manage simultanious releases for windows and linux. Right?

2: You're going about this all wrong. You're supposed to go to college to learn the fundamentals, not to find a language you'll be able to "stick" with. Thats the whole problem people are stuck in America now. Nothings is static... projections are nice but you need to be able to adapt, and once you learn one language (and actually understand programming.. cough cough) you should be able to start picking up more languages. Have people forgotten about the meaning of learning "yet another language"?
Anyways, lesson is you need to be adaptable... if you hope to find a good job that is and be competitive.
- Hostile is sexy.

Yegg

bulletproof tiger

Quote from: Hostile on August 13, 2008, 11:03 PM
What's a couple good programming languages that are worth going to college for?..as in still going to be around, obviously remodeled, in 10 years.

1: Fuck all the idiots here who contradict themselves (UserLoser) and say Java is nasty. Installing the runtime for Java is no different in theory than having the runtimes for C++ installed with the Operating system (forgot about .net?)
They have different scopes, obviously but just as often as you'll need a more efficient language like C++ for the system, you would need something as scalable as Java which doesnt need to be ported.. I mean who needs that, its so easy to port code and manage simultanious releases for windows and linux. Right?

2: You're going about this all wrong. You're supposed to go to college to learn the fundamentals, not to find a language you'll be able to "stick" with. Thats the whole problem people are stuck in America now. Nothings is static... projections are nice but you need to be able to adapt, and once you learn one language (and actually understand programming.. cough cough) you should be able to start picking up more languages. Have people forgotten about the meaning of learning "yet another language"?
Anyways, lesson is you need to be adaptable... if you hope to find a good job that is and be competitive.

blah blah blah blah.... relax

Yegg

Quote from: chyea on August 14, 2008, 12:02 AM

blah blah blah blah.... relax

Congrats on finding something lame to say to one of the most sensible posts in this thread?

MyndFyre

This is very true.  I remember when all I knew was C#....  Now I feel comfortable developing in C/C++, Java, and Visual Basic.  But here's a good example of that:

So I still mostly develop in C# because I like it and my job permits it.  But this latest project that I was on, we had to interoperate with a hardware vendor who had C++-based driver and interface software.  At one point their jackass programmer couldn't figure out what setting he was breaking when writing out a file, and after two days, I finally said, "Look, just let me see the code, I'll find the error and help you fix it."  Sure enough, within about 10 minutes of debugging, we tracked it down.

The end result: I got two new job offers as a result of the project, and a raise and a promotion at my current job.

Knowing this craft is more important than knowing the nuances of a language and the library.  I certainly don't know STL like the back of my hand, for example; but I know where to look and how to look for the right information.  But there isn't a place to look for "How do I fix an error in which a '0' is being written to an INI file?"  The truth is, you have to be writing software in order to get good at writing software.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

bulletproof tiger

Quote from: Yegg on August 14, 2008, 01:42 AM
Congrats on finding something lame to say to one of the most sensible posts in this thread?

What? I agree with what he said. I still think he could relax a little, though.

|