• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Maiev.mod

Started by brew, February 08, 2008, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brew

Starts at 190333C9 in battle.snp, after some weak-as-hell static string encryption. Discuss.

My guess: The last name of the blizzard employee who implemented it?
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

FrostWraith

Isn't Maiev a warcraft III character?

MyndFyre

Quote from: FrostWraith on February 08, 2008, 10:57 PM
Isn't Maiev a warcraft III character?
Yes.  Big surprise that Blizzard named something after a character that they created.  PsiStorm.dll was a Starcraft activity.  Woo.  Who cares?
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

UserLoser

thought this was figured out years and years back that maiev.mod is the always running warden module ?

brew

Quote from: UserLoser on February 09, 2008, 04:22 AM
thought this was figured out years and years back that maiev.mod is the always running warden module ?
eh? the always running one? is this warcraft 3 specific? 'cause if it is, i'm wasting a shitload of time ;P

@FrostWraith: according to WoWWiki it's Maiev Shadowsong, a priestest of Elune during the War of the Ancients.
One of 'her' aliases is the "Hand of Justice"... oooo

EDIT**
I was reading that wiki arcticle a bit more and here's what i found:
The "death" originates from the mission, The Search for Illidan, in which the mission objective is to slay the guardians of the cage, the Watchers, carrying Illidan to the Sentinels base. There were four guardians included Maeiv;

Lord Illidan has been captured by the cunning Warden in a cage of magical enchantments. Slay the guardians of the cage and take it from the Night Elves before they reach safety the safety of their base.
<3 Zorm

UserLoser

iago

I believe that Maive.mod is initially loaded, before a new one is downloaded/run. The code/decryption key are stored as constants, and it's decrypted before receiving any "warden" packets.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

brew

Constant decryption key? Might it be "WBc+8F%R" by any chance?
<3 Zorm

iago

It's 16 bytes, but yeah, it starts with that.

brew

Hmm, does anyone have a copy of the mac storm.dll handy?
<3 Zorm

iago

You can extract the Mac version from Install.exe if you're stuck. But it's version 1.04, so it isn't especially useful. It's the only version I've ever used, though.

And incidentally, I was making breakfast when I realized that I was wrong -- that WBc+.. string isn't the key, that's the encrypted module. The key used is referenced right above it.

brew

Heh, i realized that it couldn't have been the key. What the 3rd parameter's offset is pointing to, is exactly 16 bytes. It's 57 42 63 C9 38 46 25 52 00 71 E4 47 00 40 DD 84. Just curious, why 16 bytes? Is starcraft's the same len? Please don't tell me it's md5...
<3 Zorm

MyndFyre

Quote from: brew on February 10, 2008, 01:13 PM
Heh, i realized that it couldn't have been the key. What the 3rd parameter's offset is pointing to, is exactly 16 bytes. It's 57 42 63 C9 38 46 25 52 00 71 E4 47 00 40 DD 84. Just curious, why 16 bytes? Is starcraft's the same len? Please don't tell me it's md5...

MD5 isn't an encryption algorithm, it's a hashing algorithm.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

iago

The third parameter is the decryption key.

.text:19033697                 push    offset default_warden_key ; KeyString
.text:1903369C                 push    12B3h           ; EncryptedSize
.text:190336A1                 push    offset default_warden_module ; "WBc+8F%RqSG@¦ärBµs}\x11\"-<+\x02±ç¦y+\x168µ3+ûxŪ"...
.text:190336A6                 call    sub_190333C0

And yes, there is some MD5 involved, but not here.

brew

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on February 10, 2008, 01:58 PM

MD5 isn't an encryption algorithm, it's a hashing algorithm.
was talking about the key generation.

@iago: thanks! You're good :P

Also, how often do the modules update? I was able to convert it from the hex view in ollydbg to binary data, then disassemble with ndisasm, but then when i go back to check it again (3 days later), my addresses aren't valid! :(
<3 Zorm