• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Seeing computers in My Network Places on a Router-to-Router VPN

Started by Trance, December 05, 2007, 06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trance

I've set up a Router-to-Router VPN with two Linksys WRVS4400N's and I have been attempting to get it where I can be at location B and view location A's computers in My Network Places (Network in Vista I think) for a few days now without any success. I've tried enabling "NetBios Broadcast" on both routers but that didn't work, I've also tried setting up a WINS server, but I'm not so sure I did that correctly.

I'm totally open to any ideas here because I really want this to work, thanks in advance!

Barabajagal

Silly question, but they are all on the same Workgroup or Domain, right?

Trance

FrostWraith

Some may criticize me for this, but for issues like this, I always like to install the old protocol Netbeui.  It is no longer supported but always seems to set things straight for me.  Unfortunately I don't have my CD handy, but if your interested I can track it down (unless of course you find another download for it).

Trance

Would I have to install this on every computer I want to see? I'm totally interested if there's a chance it'll work!

I suppose I should disclose what I'm really trying to see, one Vista Ultimate machine at location A and one Xbox 360 at location B. I know that sounds crazy but trust me there's a really good reason for this :P

FrostWraith

Of course you would.  You can't have only one computer understand a new protocol.

Btw, you cant "normally" install netbeui on Xbox.  And when I quote normally I am not hinting at any way I know of or if its possible.

Trance

Touching the Xbox is not an option.

Netbios is the protocal windows and the xbox uses to show up in My Network Places right?

K

Quote from: Trance on December 06, 2007, 01:29 AM
Touching the Xbox is not an option.

Netbios is the protocal windows and the xbox uses to show up in My Network Places right?
The Xbox360 uses UPnP media sharing to stream content from the PC to the Xbox.

warz

on vista this just worked for me. i plug in the xbox, and vista, onto the same network and they automatically see each other. even vista had some pop up telling me that it's an extender, or something. i can share music, videos, etc, between the both.

Kp

Have you verified even basic connectivity between the two VPNs?  Can you put a Windows XP machine next to the XBox and ping between XP and Vista?  Can you then share directories between XP and Vista?
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Trance

Trance

I looked around a bit more and seems that making a static routing entry into my routing table may do the trick, I'll try it later tonight for sure *crosses fingers*

Trance

Would anyone happen to know any good communities for stuff like this?

Trance

I've been doing a ton of research on this and it seems that I need a router with DHCP relay over VPN, netbios over VPN, and upnp over vpn.

The first two I've managed to confirm are in sonicwall routers (TZ 150 & 180), but I can't seem to find much information about upnp on them. Does anyone know any routers that will support these three main functions?