• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Remote Bot Linking

Started by Smarter, December 04, 2007, 03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: brew on January 07, 2008, 06:23 PM
EDIT** Oh wait, doesn't C# have built in buffer overflow protection?
Yes, it does.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Smarter

Nice, so then there's the solution, P2P connection, with authentication ;).
Since '99

BrutalNet.Net

Camel

You say that like it's simple.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on January 07, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, it does.

that makes it a shitty language, right?

Smarter

Quote from: Camel on January 08, 2008, 12:38 AM
You say that like it's simple.

Well of course it's not simple, but the idea is simple, implementation is the challenge.
Since '99

BrutalNet.Net

brew

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on January 08, 2008, 01:34 AM
Yes, it does.

It helps makes it a slow one.
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: brew on January 08, 2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, it does.

yeah performance is way more important than security in a network setting, especially when the application is i/o bound.

brew

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on January 08, 2008, 04:15 PM
Quote from: brew on January 08, 2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, it does.

yeah performance is way more important than security in a network setting, especially when the application is i/o bound.

What about the functions etc that don't need buffer overflow checks? ...
<3 Zorm

Kp

Any function which manipulates a buffer needs to have a buffer overflow check, in case dangerous data is passed to it.  Any function which doesn't manipulate a buffer generally doesn't receive the code for a buffer overflow check, although this varies a bit by language, compiler, and compiler options.  I'd be surprised if Microsoft didn't take the opportunity to ensure that every buffer access in C# has an associated overflow check.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Camel

Back to the topic,

Have you heard of the interbot protocol? I haven't seen it used in a very long time - it seemed to be a pretty tacky protocol that was only used by CHAT bots way back in the day. It was a pseudo-binary protocol for background communication between bots. I wouldn't suggest using it specifically, but you could learn something by researching how it works.

Networks

I think decentralization is key here, take a page from platforms like OpenId. You should be able to define which service provider you wish to associate your banlists with.

I would hope we learned from mistakes BNLS made without its open implementations.

In fact, I think it would be interesting to create open, decentralized net interface of sorts to share anything between to bots. Develop a protocol for sharing and let the clients decide what they think they should share. Banlists and such seem rather limited. I am not sure if there's a need since battle.net is a rather limited population but who knows maybe the implementation could be versatile to adjust to any network: Battle.net, IRC, etc.

Kp

Quote from: Networks on January 12, 2008, 03:36 PM
I would hope we learned from mistakes BNLS made without its open implementations.

There were open implementations of BNLS clients.  The server was kept closed on purpose.  Remember that it was a long time after BNLS came out before anyone else could do NLS calculations.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Joe[x86]

My method: Make the first parameter the hInstance or something on that order, then right before the return, show an error message and terminate the process immediately if the parameter doesn't equal GetModuleHandle(NULL) (the value could be anything, really, just try to make it a random on a per-instance basis).

If anyone's interested, I've got the ASM from when BreW implemented this in IX86verXX.dll.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

brew

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=17206.msg175805#msg175805 date=1200332632]
My method: Make the first parameter the hInstance or something on that order, then right before the return, show an error message and terminate the process immediately if the parameter doesn't equal GetModuleHandle(NULL) (the value could be anything, really, just try to make it a random on a per-instance basis).

If anyone's interested, I've got the ASM from when BreW implemented this in IX86verXX.dll.
What are you talking about?
<3 Zorm

|