• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

My Desktop Build...

Started by mayhem, October 23, 2007, 11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayhem

I wanted to show everyone my build and hope for some thoughts/comments/suggestions on it. Thanks.
----
Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse will all come when they are needed and will be bought at the local Best Buy.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813188019
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115003
Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136012
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145034
Graphics Card: N/A
OS: Windows Professional SP2 or Windows Vista Ultimate... idk =\

Joe[x86]

You've got the hard part down -- your processor, motherboard, and RAM are all compatible.

Your motherboard supports 4 slots of RAM, but you're only ordering two. You should consider buying two packs of that memory for only an extra $100. It'd give you a bit of a boost.

EDIT -
You'll need a graphics card, as your motherboard doesn't have integrated video. You'd probably want to go with this category, but I'm not really up to suggesting one in particular.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Yegg

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=17132.msg174185#msg174185 date=1193252659]
You've got the hard part down -- your processor, motherboard, and RAM are all compatible.

Your motherboard supports 4 slots of RAM, but you're only ordering two. You should consider buying two packs of that memory for only an extra $100. It'd give you a bit of a boost.

EDIT -
You'll need a graphics card, as your motherboard doesn't have integrated video. You'd probably want to go with this category, but I'm not really up to suggesting one in particular.

Are you crazy? Since when do you need more than 2gb of ram? I've never used 2gb of memory at the same time even with various softwares running on my Mac OS X while VMWare Fusion Mac is running WinXP running MS VC# 2005.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Yegg on October 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
Are you crazy? Since when do you need more than 2gb of ram? I've never used 2gb of memory at the same time even with various softwares running on my Mac OS X while VMWare Fusion Mac is running WinXP running MS VC# 2005.
More RAM is never bad, though to support 4+gb of memory you need to make sure you're using a 64-bit OS.  PAE helps, but IIRC you need to ensure that programs are written understanding PAE.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Barabajagal

HellGate: London recommends 3 gigs.

Comments on specs:
Motherboard -
  In my experience, while it's handy to have onboard sound, it also slacks off and uses your processor to do some of the audio processing, which means more music lag under heavy process load.
  Your MoBo supports 8 gigs of ram, so fill up.
  Make sure you get a Power Supply (which I notice you're lacking... not good, as the PSU is the heart of the computer, and all other components can only perform as well as the PSU allows) that fits your motherboard.

Processor -
  I'm an AMD guy, not gonna comment on Intels.

Hard Drive -
  I've had problems with Western Digital. I'm strictly Seagate biased. 10k RPM isn't bad though. (My own hard drive is a 400 gig UDMA drive [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148137 ] which is substantially cheaper, but also slower). I guess all drives are pretty similar in the end, though. I would recommend going for a bit more capacity if you're going to be backing up DVDs as ISOs, or anything like that (which I do, because I HATE external media).

RAM -
  Double it.

Video -
  I'd wait until 256-bit DirectX 10 cards come out, but that's just me.

Yegg

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on October 24, 2007, 02:52 PM
More RAM is never bad, though to support 4+gb of memory you need to make sure you're using a 64-bit OS.  PAE helps, but IIRC you need to ensure that programs are written understanding PAE.

Of course it isn't. He just most likely will never need more than 2gb of RAM. The extra $100 could be well spent elsewhere.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Yegg on October 24, 2007, 08:40 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on October 24, 2007, 02:52 PM

Of course it isn't. He just most likely will never need more than 2gb of RAM. The extra $100 could be well spent elsewhere.

I could fill up 2gb of RAM no problem. Just run a protools session.

Joe[x86]

I'm sure I'm relatively alone in this category, but I'm a loaded-program-packrat. Right now, I've got a few VS2005 sessions loaded which can't be less than 200MB a piece, as well as JBLS which runs at probably 50MB, and UEStudio '06. Of my 1GB of RAM, I've got 180MB available, minus whatever is in my pagefile which *appears* to be 1.2GB, setting me at a bit over 2GB of RAM while not doing anything intensive. If I want to open WoW, that sticks me at 2.5GB easily.

EDIT -
As for HD, which I didn't look at, I'd go for 500GB at least. As HD space consumption continually grows increasingly faster, I regret saving a few dollars a few years ago when I bought my (then) massive 120GB HD, when I could have gotten a 240 (which is still small).
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

squiggly

You'd be best off just getting two 250gb drives, lest you want to lose all your data when your 500gb drive fails. It'll cost you close to $20 more, but losing half of everything is much better. Or, you could invest in a decent burner and burn your media onto dual layer discs, which is what I do.
- Posso usar um tradutor de lĂ­ngua, devo ser fresco agora!

MyndFyre

Virtualization?  RAMdrives?  Video editing?  3D animation rendering?

I can think of a few reasons.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

warz

For $100, I'd take 2gb of RAM. :P

Yegg

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on October 24, 2007, 10:16 PM

Even for those, 2gb should be enough to cover, provided you are not running a shitload of things which have no reason to be running. I run MSVC# 2005 on WinXP inside VMWare Fusion Mac while running some other rather large software on my Mac OS X and the 2gb covers everything with plenty to spare. I really don't see the need in 4gb. Why spend an extra $100 because you're too lazy to exit programs that you aren't using? Not to mention that these programs also shouldn't take long to open and fully load either (even MSVS 2005 doesn't take long).

Warrior

Quote from: Yegg on October 24, 2007, 10:56 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on October 24, 2007, 10:16 PM

Even for those, 2gb should be enough to cover, provided you are not running a shitload of things which have no reason to be running. I run MSVC# 2005 on WinXP inside VMWare Fusion Mac while running some other rather large software on my Mac OS X and the 2gb covers everything with plenty to spare. I really don't see the need in 4gb. Why spend an extra $100 because you're too lazy to exit programs that you aren't using? Not to mention that these programs also shouldn't take long to open and fully load either (even MSVS 2005 doesn't take long).

No it won't.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Warrior

Quote from: Andy on October 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
HellGate: London recommends 3 gigs.

Wow. Hellgate: London can go to hell.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?