• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

StarCraftJ.rar

Started by iCe, August 23, 2007, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camel

Quote from: Andy on September 03, 2007, 07:27 PM
How odd.. someone removed the link. http://realityripple.com/Uploads
It's a nonlisted folder of files I upload for myself and for friends. Downloading the music on there (and actually, prolly the jstr ISO) is illegal, since it's there for my use when I'm abroad. So download at your own risk.

There's no precedent I'm aware of for any industry going after end-users for downloading illegally obtained files. It's the people who are sharing the files that they go after. You're the only one taking any risk by hosting those files - but thanks ;)

Michael

This may be off topic but how good is google for code development i noticed in your sig you have bnubot on google. any special advantages to this or you just like to stand out :)

Camel

Google Code is, for the sake of this discussion, identical to SourceForge.

Barabajagal

So in other words, I should put them all in a "Music" folder and password protect that folder to prevent myself from getting in trouble?

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on September 04, 2007, 01:02 PM
So in other words, I should put them all in a "Music" folder and password protect that folder to prevent myself from getting in trouble?

Doesn't matter what folder it is, but password protecting it would be good, as you can be held liable for software piracy (even if you legitimately own the software, the complaint can simply claim that by not password-protecting it, you intended for it to be freely distributable, and they also can request that the court issue a subpoena against your host to force them to turn over the web stats indicating how many times a particular file was downloaded, by how many IPs, and based on those stats, they can estimate monetary damages/losses). It's a tactic commonly used by the MPAA and RIAA to combat piracy, which is pretty much many distributors chose to switch to bittorrents, as those are extremely difficult to pursue since the data are all fragments, and isn't centralized, like your server is. Even if you post it on bittorrent, and give a link to the bittorrent, that's still enough for a judgment in their favor since they can argue your providing a link proof of you as an "enabler". The whole point is for them to prove that by making it easy for people to obtain the disputed file thereof, you basically engaged in distribution.

While I do not advocate software piracy, you have three options:

1. Take the file off your server. You're only making yourself easily criminally liable for persecution. Blizzard usually just sends a C&D (Cease and desist) and/or DMCA takedown order to you and your host a few times before seeking persecution. RIAA and MPAA tends to just bypass the "friendly warning" process altogether and just head straight on to persecution, they're quite aggressive in their tactics.

2. Set up an .htaccess file, request the person's IP address, and restrict all traffic so only specific IP addresses can access the specific directory. This way, all unwelcome traffic will get a 403 forbidden error and you won't have to worry about unnecessary risks.

3. Password protect it. If you password protect it, I doubt you'll ever hear from Blizzard unless someone you gave the password to passed on the information along to Blizzard. In that case, just cooperate and get rid of the file, then inform Blizzard that the specific file in the specific location that they referenced is now no longer accessible. They'll check to see if they get a 404, which of course they will. Then they'll thank you and that'll be the end of it.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Camel

You could also put up a disclaimer saying that the files are the property of their respective owners, and that the site is for personal backup, and by users other than you downloading files, they are violating the terms of agreement x. Legal gray area, though.

In any event, you're just as likely to go to jail for this as I am to go to jail for downloading the DVD rip of The Simpsons Movie the week before it came out in theaters on bit torrent, and having a share ratio of 11.2.

Barabajagal

Or... I could just say fuck you to all legal authorities and refuse to cooperate.

Michael

I haven't had any problems from anyone with my files.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on September 04, 2007, 03:56 PM
Or... I could just say fuck you to all legal authorities and refuse to cooperate.

Let us know how that works out. :P
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Camel

I hope you give the police that additude when they show up to arrest you ;D

Barabajagal

Quote from: Camel on September 05, 2007, 08:39 AM

Of course I will. I have no intention of dealing with society, so they should have no intention of dealing with me.

Explicit

Quote from: Andy on September 05, 2007, 02:10 PM

Of course I will. I have no intention of dealing with society, so they should have no intention of dealing with me.

You do realize that the mentality you're carrying is irrational, right?  You're knocking on the way our society is, yet don't even acknowledge all of the (positive) things that came from it.  Take the technological progression with computers, for example.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

warz

he just needs to l2notfailatlife

Barabajagal

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on September 05, 2007, 02:16 PM
Quote from: Andy on September 05, 2007, 02:10 PM

You do realize that the mentality you're carrying is irrational, right?  You're knocking on the way our society is, yet don't even acknowledge all of the (positive) things that came from it.  Take the technological progression with computers, for example.

Honestly, technological development has a negative effect on humanity. As does medicine, laws, and anything else of that nature.

Technology makes people lazy. We don't move, we sit in chairs all day (which are very bad for our backs), and most people don't use their brains at all (unless you're working on something, or playing a game that actually takes planned out strategy).

Medicine has nearly negated evolution. If the weak died out, we wouldn't have overpopulation like we do, and the human race would be a stronger, more disease-resistant species. Now we're susceptible to all kinds of things that we weren't before.

Quite simply, I hate society and everything it implicates because it removes us from our natural state of being. With any luck, the Earth will wipe us out and fix itself soon.

rabbit

If you hate everything, kill yourself.  Also, stop posting.  Computers are evil.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

|