• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What happened to The Warden?

Started by brew, August 21, 2007, 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brew

Blizzard disabled the 0x5e packet send (meaning no more drop after two minutes within logging on if you don't respond to it)? What's going on here? It seems like a good thing, but for some reason I'm not so sure about that. I just hope blizzard doesn't have something even worse planned...
My idea is that blizzard disabled warden over battle.net because it was too bandwith consuming. So I'm guessing that the new patch indeed did something more then what the change log said... Maybe warden was localized, and upon detecting a hack, it sends a new packet? Or something like that? I haven't verified any of this.
So, what do you think?
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Barabajagal

what? really? OH HELLZ YA! SC BOTS ARE BACK! :D

brew

Not really. We know blizzard is going to do something even worse. And don't forget about the "massload bots", which primarily run on starcraft. Since there is only one working public loader (genocide), NeSuCks will have even moar victims then ever. He can probably make a small botnet out of all the mindless soon-to-be genocide users. I would fix up XR for the people but I don't have the completely working version of Rob's lockdown dll (i have the first version that doesn't work with w2bn, and stops working with starcraft after a certain number of calls), and I don't have a very good source of proxies.
<3 Zorm

Barabajagal

ugh... why would you ADD to the problem? If there's only one massloader and it's trojanned, then all you have to do is tell people it's trojanned with proof and you won't have any massloadings at all!

Hdx

Only time will tell.
They may of jsut decided to disable it in-chat. I haven't looked at in-game latley. is it still in use?
Maybe they jsut decided to make it all in-game and not worry about chat.
But, give it a day or two, it might startup again. I think I have an idea what they are doing, if its true, it'll be back on by thursday.
Anywho.. botnets are fun!
I'ma make my school district into one big one this year, wewt!
~Hdx

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Joe[x86]

StarCraft has been in use for about (over?) ten years now and will be popular until the day StarCraft II hits shelves. The day after, I predict it gets all the restrictions of DRTL and SSHR.

@topic:
I shot the Warden, but I did not shoot the deputy.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

brew

Quote[08:08:29 AM] There are currently 71995 users playing 16994 games of Starcraft Broodwar, and 230548 users playing 45066 games on Battle.net.
The number of users shot up 33k within something like two days

@Reality: I didn't add to the problem. If kiddies want to load, they're going to load no matter what. Nesucks publically admitted to having backdoored genocide to whisper the name nesucks_2 cdkeys, but guess what, people still do use it. Their justification? "it's never on so he never gets any cdkeys"
Did you ever wonder what the purpose of an antivirus program is for? To help protect the less informed. They may be stupid, but it is someone's job to take care of them. Same goes here.

For the love of god, blizzard better keep starcraft without restrictions
Thanks for giving them ideas joe
<3 Zorm

iago

Quote from: brew on August 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
My idea is that blizzard disabled warden over battle.net because it was too bandwith consuming.
I very much doubt that. Not that I can offer a better explanation, but perhaps updating it for a new version of Starcraft is a manual process and will take a couple days?

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=16968.msg171814#msg171814 date=1187784227]
StarCraft has been in use for about (over?) ten years now and will be popular until the day StarCraft II hits shelves. The day after, I predict it gets all the restrictions of DRTL and SSHR.
I doubt it. Starcraft has CDKeys, whereas DRTL and SSHR don't. That's why Starcraft isn't restricted and they are.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Camel

Nobody uses W2BN, and it's totally unrestricted and warden-free.

Don Cullen

Ran bot emulating starcraft client for a hour. Still haven't received the packet. Seems like good news to me.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Yegg

Quote from: Camel on August 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
Nobody uses W2BN, and it's totally unrestricted and warden-free.

People use W2BN.

Camel

Only to load bots. Occasionally, to load win bots. It's the cheapest CD key you can buy.

I've never seen more than 50 active games on USEast.

Barabajagal

I use W2BN for my bot if I need to join a channel outside DRTL's range, and I used it during the time warden was killing sc.

Yegg

Quote from: Camel on August 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
Only to load bots. Occasionally, to load win bots. It's the cheapest CD key you can buy.

I've never seen more than 50 active games on USEast.

There's people who play W2BN games on the USWest server. I haven't seen any winbots for W2BN lately, not for ladder/ironman at least. How is it the cheapest CD-Key you can buy? It's the same price as Starcraft and Broowar.

I've never seen more than 1 active game on USEast in recent times.

You also contradict yourself by saying that people only use W2BN for loading bots with, but in the same post you mention that you've never seen more than 50 games on USEast.

Camel

</3 Yegg, you know what I mean, don't be a dick. Look at the number of people playing W2BN per logins, and compare it to other games.