--------
Probably can't explain it so I'll just throw this in and hope you follow;

A B C D E

A 1.0 1.0 2.0 2.0 1.0
B 0.5 1.0 2.0 1.0 1.0
C 2.0 1.0 1.0 0.5 1.0
D 1.0 2.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
E 1.0 0.5 1.0 1.0 2.0

Got that? Okay, now say on my other sheet I've got the cells where I want the data to be linked to, so it's like

Cell Data: A
----------------
Cell Data: B
Cell Data: C
----------------
Cell Data: Multiplier

Now A, B, C, D, and E are all interchangable. What I want is a function or macro that lets me find that multiplier. The "if" function doesn't work because it needs to go through more than 7 nests, so yeah...

I need to go across from the A row, to find the values applicable for B and C, multiply them, and that should give me the multiplier.
Problem is, A, B, and C aren't set as A, B, and C. They could change to become any of those data sets.

Like I said, the "if" function doesn't work because it needs to go through more than 7. The "vlookup" function won't work because sometimes A could give a value for D, for example, but the data set for D isn't required to find the multiplier in the case. Basically I don't know which column I'll be needing.

So yeah, what can I do? I don't know how to write macros or anything so if that's required to be done help would be nice thanks.

PS. Helping me with this grants you +50 internet cool points. You will win a PRIZE!
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

Stealth

VBA is pretty easy to use in Excel, and walking across a row of cells is even easier. Just use

Range("CELL").Select   ' to select the cell whose value you want, ie. Range("A1").Select
MsgBox ActiveCell.Value   ' will reflect the contents of that cell

Excel's cell naming flexibility lets you reference any cell on any worksheet in your document, and because they're sequentially named using letters and numbers, a For loop can easily traverse them.

HTH
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot