• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Looks like it's time for grad school :)

Started by MyndFyre, May 16, 2007, 02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

So now that I've been doing well in the development job market for about 7 months and enjoying it, I've decided to go to grad school.  Neat that my university offers a Software Engineering program with an M.Eng. 

Incidentally, because of the uncertainty of what software engineering is, does anyone know whether it's an IEEE-recognized engineering profession?

Neat program, entirely online, though I imagine I can take courses in person if I want to (campus is across the street from where I work). 

Anyway, it's kind of neat new stuff going on, so I had to share. :)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Barabajagal

Nothing personal, I just find the idea of standard education so easily mock-able. And apparently the toothpastefordinner guy does too.

warz

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 16, 2007, 02:54 AM
Nothing personal, I just find the idea of standard education so easily mock-able. And apparently the toothpastefordinner guy does too.

Okay, mr. 0.4.

Invert

MF, you used the word "neat" 3 times in your post. I don't know why I mention that but it stood out. Anyway, don't listen to RealityRipple, get a Masters and then get a PH.D. so people like RealityRipple can all you Dr.  :)

I'm 2 classes away from being done with my 1st year of graduate school. Me = MBA/Marketing in about a year.

Warrior

RealityRipple you're such a moron. Really.

Just because YOU failed at school doesn't mean everyone is as incapable at learning as you are.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Invert

Quote from: Warrior on May 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
RealityRipple you're such a moron. Really.

Just because YOU failed at school doesn't mean everyone is as incapable at learning as you are.

That is a personal attack. Unnecessary.

Warrior

Coming from the guy who's insulted more people than I can count :).

It's a necessary thing, Reality seems to think he's better than everyone because he has a stupid certification in a language which will be depreciated in a few years. It's annoying.

Additionally, how is what warz said not a personal attack as well? It's less obvious but it still falls under that category..
and you of all people to be criticizing me on personal attacks..:)
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Invert

Quote from: Warrior on May 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
Coming from the guy who's insulted more people than I can count :).

It's a necessary thing, Reality seems to think he's better than everyone because he has a stupid certification in a language which will be depreciated in a few years. It's annoying.

Additionally, how is what warz said not a personal attack as well? It's less obvious but it still falls under that category..
and you of all people to be criticizing me on personal attacks..:)

In this post all you did was point fingers and make assumptions.

Warrior

In other news, I don't care. Is that what you want to hear?

Invert

Quote from: Warrior on May 16, 2007, 02:29 PM

I wanted to hear that you agree with me. You are an intelligent person; you realize that your insults accomplished nothing and did not add anything significant to the topic of discussion. If you have strong feeling about RealityRipple you can convey those feelings to him personally in a private message.

Barabajagal

And as a side note, I didn't fail. I tested out in 10th grade and got my high school diploma. I aced every test in high school, I just never did homework, hence the 0.4 GPA. I don't agree with the US's education system in the least, and I was commenting on that, not his choice to participate in it.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Invert on May 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
MF, you used the word "neat" 3 times in your post. I don't know why I mention that but it stood out. Anyway, don't listen to RealityRipple, get a Masters and then get a PH.D. so people like RealityRipple can all you Dr.  :)
Haha.  I doubt I'll get a Ph.D. - I might start writing books for cash, but I don't know if I could handle a dissertation for the sake of getting paid less than I could get paid working in the commercial sector.  Maybe I'll try to be a professor when I'm 50.

I mostly want to get a Master's so that I can have a piece of paper that says I'm good at something other than just C#.  The SE program looks more at architecture, design, and management, which is really what I'd like to be doing in my career down the line.  I enjoy being a developer, but I really love doing that abstract stuff. :)

As for saying "neat" frequently, maybe it was an unconscious attempt at not using the trite word "cool"?  :P

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 16, 2007, 02:54 AM
Nothing personal, I just find the idea of standard education so easily mock-able.
The fact of the matter is, a majority of people find higher education to be particularly valuable.  If I want to break into some of the leading companies like Microsoft, intel, or any of the other big names, I'm going to have to have more than degrees in poli sci and psych.  It's just not going to cut it.

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on May 16, 2007, 03:13 PM
I didn't fail. I tested out in 10th grade and got my high school diploma. I aced every test in high school, I just never did homework, hence the 0.4 GPA.
If I was a potential employer, I would look at this and think, "If this guy didn't do his homework in high school, will he not do work here?"
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Warrior

Quote from: Invert on May 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
Quote from: Warrior on May 16, 2007, 02:29 PM

I wanted to hear that you agree with me. You are an intelligent person; you realize that your insults accomplished nothing and did not add anything significant to the topic of discussion. If you have strong feeling about RealityRipple you can convey those feelings to him personally in a private message.

But you see..I don't agree with you. I said something because I felt like saying it. It conveyed my feelings torwards him and got the job done well. (He responded didn't he)

If you or anyone else is bothered by this, you need to go out to the real world. Crying because you got your feelings hurt over the internet is a ridiculous thing to do. 

Barabajagal

Good thing I don't plan to be a potential employee.

Warrior

Yea, maybe you can auction off your code poetry at an Art museum?