• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

hmm

Started by Rob, May 13, 2007, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: ·RealityRipple· on June 03, 2007, 08:54 PM
That one's fun... but it's a bit confusing if you say the error is caused by a PICNIC....
That's the point. you say, "Ah, I understand this problem, it's a PICNIC!" -- the user won't be offended at all :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Barabajagal

I don't think you'd say either if you want to keep your job....

Edit: What a coincidence... I was reading through a webcomic:

iago

PEBKAC reminds me of the pronounciation of "P'tak", which is a Klingon insult of some sort.

Barabajagal

brew

<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

iago

It's funny how both threads about lockdown went way off topic. Conspiracy?

Barabajagal

No, just boredom with the topic. "Lockdown this" and "Lockdown that". You guys are giving it more attention than a box of open donuts at a conference meeting.

Mystical

wouldn't that be the point of the thread.

Barabajagal

My point is there's too many threads about it already and I'm tired of hearing about it. So I guess I'm done viewing all this crap until next time bnet changes.

brew

Hey. I got an idea. Maybe we shouldnt yap our heads off about lockdown so blizzard doesn't get any ideas so there WON'T be a "next time".
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

iago

Quote from: ·RealityRipple· on June 04, 2007, 06:35 PM
My point is there's too many threads about it already and I'm tired of hearing about it. So I guess I'm done viewing all this crap until next time bnet changes.
I'm glad you can summarize a month of time I wasted for this community so glibly.

warz

Dale

I still commend you iago.

Barabajagal

iago. Now that there's not one, but two ways to get around lockdown, it will be changed again, most likely before SC2 comes out. I was hoping no local workaround would be made public, I really was. They never seem to do anything if it's something like BNLS, but a local copy can be embedded in hacks, so they have twice the reason to change it. I don't mean to insult your work, I just sort of wish you hadn't made it public, though I'm usually for public code.

iago

Quote from: ·RealityRipple· on June 04, 2007, 10:54 PM
iago. Now that there's not one, but two ways to get around lockdown, it will be changed again, most likely before SC2 comes out. I was hoping no local workaround would be made public, I really was. They never seem to do anything if it's something like BNLS, but a local copy can be embedded in hacks, so they have twice the reason to change it. I don't mean to insult your work, I just sort of wish you hadn't made it public, though I'm usually for public code.
Implementing that in a hack would be incredibly stupid. It's way easier just to load the hack *after* Battle.net. If you embed it in a hack, the hack will still fail because it hashes memory, and the hack likely hooks the game's memory. So that's just silly.

Honestly, the algorithm isn't that complicated. It does very little prevent bots, and does very little to prevent hacks. I suspect it was changed more because somebody was bored and decided to improve the code.

I doubt they'll change it again any time soon. And if they do, I'll reverse it and release the code again. I'm their worst nightmare, I have 3 phonelines and absolutely nothing to do with my time! (Challenge: where's that quote from? :) )

|