• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

(SphtBotv3) Getting BCEL.dll to load

Started by luth, April 27, 2007, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luth

Seeing as most of valhallalegends.com is down (and has been for quite some time), I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post.  Once the site comes back only, feel free to move this post.

I'm plagued by the gruesome red text "Failed to load BCEL.dll!" when starting SphtBotv3.  I have BCEL.dll in the application directory, as well as msvcr70.dll and msvcr71.dll (wasn't sure which one you used, and the link to vc7_crt.zip is also offline for the time being).  Because of this, none of my plugins will load or function.

What other files might I be missing that could cause BCEL.dll to fail to load?  Or what other causes, besides missing files, are there?

Much obliged.

Spht

What OS?

Try putting the dll's in your system\system32 directories instead

luth

Win2k patched all the way.

Thats the thing, I've got MSVCR*.DLL 70, 71, 80, and 80d in my system32.  This is my dev machine, so I knew I had all the VC files.  But I thought maybe you'd hardcoded the DLL path and loaded it manually, so I dropped them in the app directory too.  Didnt work, obviously.  I threw BCEL.DLL into system32 as well, but it didnt make any change.

Maybe you can think of another reason why it isn't loading?  I don't suppose you have a debug build (or maybe a runtime flag) with an expanded error log file I could use to figure out whats wrong?

Barabajagal

Does it need to be registered using regsvr32?

UserLoser

Quote from: RεalityRipplε on April 28, 2007, 02:47 PM

MSVC++ runtime files, no.  Things like ActiveX controls, yes.

luth

Probably a silly question, but has this been tested on win2k systems?  I don't suspect this oversight, but commonly I see people make a game using functionality that was added in XP but doesn't exist or doesn't operate the same way in 2k (Shell32 is notorious for this).

Barabajagal

Quote from: UserLoser on April 28, 2007, 03:02 PM
Quote from: RεalityRipplε on April 28, 2007, 02:47 PM

MSVC++ runtime files, no.  Things like ActiveX controls, yes.
I don't know what the DLL is, I was just making a guess.

UserLoser

Quote from: luth on April 28, 2007, 04:02 PM
Probably a silly question, but has this been tested on win2k systems?  I don't suspect this oversight, but commonly I see people make a game using functionality that was added in XP but doesn't exist or doesn't operate the same way in 2k (Shell32 is notorious for this).

Anything with a Windows NT kernel should be good

luth

Well, I'm at a loss.  Without a debug log or source code to step through, I have no idea how to remedy this problem.  Which is a shame, because in all other ways, this is the least obnoxious and most pleasant bot to work with.  (Granted, my experience with it is limited due to the fact plugins won't run, but that should tell you something of the others I've used...)

luth

Can anyone suggest another bot that I might be able to use?  Nothing fancy, though clan administration and the ability to write my own scripts for it would be required.

Mystical

luth

The website is still down.  I don't suppose you could link me to an alternate location, or be willing to send the application via email / MSN?

Mystical

luth

It is back up!  Yay, now I can continue poking around the rest of the site too. :)

Spht

Quote from: luth on April 28, 2007, 04:02 PM

SphtBotv3 was developed entirely on Windows 2000, so yes

Also, as of the latest versions, it should run on non-NT systems as well (such as Windows 98/ME), but with limitations on some features