• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Middle East

Started by Invert, April 04, 2007, 02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invert

How does one make peace with someone that does not want peace?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263666,00.html

In all remembered human history, has there ever been a time where peace was achieved without violence?

Hell-Lord

I believe there never has been and i can't see it happening for a very long time. I am talking at a national level of course.

Barabajagal

Has there ever been a time where peace was achieved at all? If we're still fighting, there is no peace.

Hell-Lord

Sorry Invert if this goes a little off topic but i believe religion is mostly to blame for this.

MysT_DooM

Gandhi vs the British was done without violence

vb6, something about that combination of numbers and letters is sexy

Invert

Quote from: MysT_DooM on April 04, 2007, 11:00 AM
Gandhi vs the British was done without violence

You are wrong. There was a lot of violence involved there.

You curiously think that because one man stopped eating the British gave up their colony?

MysT_DooM

yeh i curiously think :P

The movement came to a head between 1918 and 1922 when the first series of non-violent campaigns of civil disobedience were launched by the Indian National Congress under the leadership of Mohandas Gandhi —
Indian indepence movement

towards the end it seems like it was non violent; but in the beginning there was a war

vb6, something about that combination of numbers and letters is sexy

Barabajagal

It's quite simple. Read 1984. Wonderful satire... War is Peace. Apparently, some of you believe that. Peace can not be attained through violence, fighting, or any other method. Peace is attained through nonviolence on all sides. If nobody fights, there is no violence. Unfortunately, the human mind seems to think peace is boring or something because we haven't had peace once in our recorded history.

Invert

Let's make something clear before moving on. "Peace" as people want to perceive it is unattainable. When we refer to peace it is a state where the majority of the population of any set size live in a relatively harmless environment.

RealityRipples points:
1. Pease cannot be attained thought wars.
2. Pease is attained though non-violence on all sides.
3. Humans are incapable of non-violence.

Talk about contradictions in his believes.

In RealityRipple's world it is just silly to think that peace was won during WWI or WWII thought a coalition of people with the intention of using violent and deadly force to suppress an opponent that also used violence and deadly force to try to "persuade" his agenda and beliefs onto others.

In RealityRipple's world WWI and WWII peace was achieved by him and a group of his hippy friends chaining themselves to a tree with protest signs. As soon as the Germans saw how non-violent we were they decided to put their weapons down and join RealityRipple and his tree hugging friends. From that point forth there was peace on earth and everyone lived happily ever after! THE END.

It's quite simple. Read a history book.

Barabajagal

Peace wasn't achieved. At all. Nor can it ever be. If we achieved peace with either world war, why were there wars right afterwards?

World War One: AKA The War to End All Wars. Ya, ok. We fought Germany and Austria/Hungary. We beat them both. A few years later, Germany said "Fuck this losing shit" and started another war. This time, Japan and Italy joined Germany. They kicked ass for a while, got their ass kicked by Russia, and then Japan really fucked up. End of WW2 thanks to our little bomb. Italy quits, Japan sort of shrinks in the corner like a beaten dog, and Germany just gets fucked over. Then Russia comes out and tells us that we're idiots, and the Cold War starts. Enter Korean War, Vietnam War, Cuba, Space Race, etc... Then the USSR falls apart due to a lack of funds, and now we have a stupid pointless war against Iraq, a threat in North Korea, and Cuba still hates us.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that fighting for peace has worked just as well as fucking for virginity so far.

Arta

I don't think human beings are incapable of non-violence. We just find it very difficult. I don't know the answers to these problems but I do know that excessive violence will only escalate the problem. I think we need to walk a very fine line between using enough violence to keep us safe, but not so much that the situation becomes progressively more dangerous, thus requiring more and more violence: a vicious circle. How one should do that I don't know. I don't expect to see "global peace" in my lifetime.

Incidentally: you certainly can gain peace through war. It's just not permanent peace.

Barabajagal

I didn't say we were incapable of nonviolence. I said we were incapable of peace. And peace is permanent. Anything else is a facade, a respite, or a cease-fire. Peace is more than not fighting. It's not wanting to fight. It's being content with the world and everything in it.

Dale

Martin Luther King Jr. Achieved peace, 'peacefully'

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: dlStevens on April 05, 2007, 07:44 PM
Martin Luther King Jr. Achieved peace, 'peacefully'

which is why things like these still happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdhkUtx0LHM
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

Hell-Lord

Violence is what will lead to nothing being able to be resolved peacefully.