• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Windows Crash.

Started by Mystical, March 23, 2007, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystical

The other day my windows crashed, so i forced shutdown & restarted, Windows would not load and instead i was stuck in the BOOTMENU, so i decided to toss in my (WindowsXP Install, Reinstall, Fix) CD, After that, i was able to REFORMAT my drive, which sadly took 8 hours, I then continued to reinstall, while it was copying files over from the CD I'd get errors like "Cannot Copy FileName.Extension" so then i deleted the parition and tried to start from scratch, came up with new problems, like "cannot create folder: C:\Windows" after several attempts, I got it to finnally start installing but as FAT32 and not NFTS Or i forghet whats its called, then it wanted to automaticly convert all files to NFTS, after about 5 hours, it crashed, now im just getting frustrated, I even used my Driver CD that came with my comp. not much help.

when i start up the comp this is a error i get

NTLDR is Missing.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

my computer specs were

System:  Gateway
Proccessor:   2.0ghz
Memory:      256mb
HardDrive:    40gb

Barabajagal

Get your hard drive to a friend's computer and have him completely format it within Windows. If you can, use PartitionMagic to wipe it completely (do the long format, if you can). NTLDR is a core component of the NTFS file system (yes, I realize that's redundant), and should be part of Windows 2000 and XP. It's possible that your hard drive has some corrupt sectors, and in turn has corrupted NTLDR or some of its components.

Mystical

I have no way to do that, infact all my friends don't even know how to run a computer or even really know how to turn one on.

Barabajagal

What are you on right now? Can you use it to do what I suggested?

Mystical

I'm on my Brother labtop. no time to use it anywho, got like 30 mins before he leaves.

Barabajagal

oh. Well, you need to get that drive formatted and checked for errors. Figure out a way.

Mystical

I formatted using the prompt on startup screen, i formatted like 5 times, long and short versions even tryied to delete the partion and created a new partion nope, pile of crap!!

If i don't figure it out, my times run out on the web haha.

EDIT: Sad, I realized it was soon after firefox updated when my computer crashed.

Barabajagal

Find a way to run chkdsk on it.

Mystical

ok, some how i got it to install partial ahaha, I still have a Harddrive Error i'll get the error number specs post it shortly, uhg.

Barabajagal

Run CHKDSK! (get into the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and hit enter. It'll ask if you wanna run it on the next startup. hit Y and enter. Then restart your computer so it can scan and fix drive errors. When it's done, it'll give you statistics about the drive, including the number of bad sectors.

Mystical

I did that the other day, it just told me i had errors and did nothing.

Barabajagal

did you use /r? that attempts to fix the errors or move the bad sectors out. If it didn't help, you need a new hard drive.

Mystical

done it, now it just says there's no errors, but i still have an error on startup.

Barabajagal

Do a completely clean install of windows. Full reformat in NTFS (not quick). The works.

Joe[x86]

I forgot how much it sucks to not have access to the insides of about ~20 old computers in your school. :P
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.