• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Alternative BNLS server is being hosted by Ringo

Started by Don Cullen, February 21, 2007, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iCe

Does anyone know what caused BNLS to go down?

Ringo

Quote from: Gangz on February 21, 2007, 08:10 PM
The way you are running this login system does it have to be run from a windows server or can i run it off my 3rd party web server? If so, I would be willing to host it and keeping up a permanent server. The choice is yours just let me know whats up.
Cool, thanks for the offer.
I currently have afew people willing to host it if need be. But hopefully BNLS will be back up soon, and the fuss will die down :)
Failing that, im possibly just going to send hdx the db and he can use it in JBLS and I can be done with it.

On another note, has anyone had a problem with being ip banned from 84.9.75.83?
after waking up and checking, 100's of ips were banned last night, but it didnt seem to effect the request counts, just the incoming connections.
It looks like it blocked around 80% of useless connections (from r/cing bots or w/e) so im just wundering if anyone has had problems with it?
It seems to be working 100% flawless, but i need some feed back. :P

Mystical

Nah i've reconnected a few times becuz comp problems and restarting but works fine and dandy for me =)

screw it we all soon will have our own private JBLS , BNLS , CBNLS imma slap one on my server soon when i figure it out. ahah and not tell anyone =)

rabbit

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=16367.msg165457#msg165457 date=1172122808]
Kyro, stop with the grammar checks. It makes me cry inside when people force me to recognize their mistakes -- I can usually just read over them. :P
It's not a grammar check.
"could care less" and "couldn't care less" mean two entirely different things.  It's not like he said "you mean 'could not care less', not 'couldnt care less'".  FFS.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Warrior

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 22, 2007, 01:07 AM
and you're temporarily set.

Problem.

Additionally, what they're suggesting sounds a hell of a lot easier than what you're suggesting.

UserLoser: If you do it don't write it in a dumb language like Java, use a mans language.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

UserLoser

Quote from: Warrior on February 22, 2007, 03:27 PM

Problem.

Additionally, what they're suggesting sounds a hell of a lot easier than what you're suggesting.

UserLoser: If you do it don't write it in a dumb language like Java, use a mans language.

C++ or C# are the choices at the moment, leaning towards C# because it seems fun and it's new to me kind of.  But then again, my patcher code is written in C++

Joe[x86]

You don't have to do all of that. You can just save the memory as a file, decompile the functions, rewrite them to read from the "memory file" instead of actual memory, and you're temporarily set.

That makes sense, but it can't possibly be that easy though. Lockdown probably also hashes the area that it loaded itself into, so that the memory image changes with each MPQ. If that's so, you'd need 2000 memory dumps -- enough to make anyones hard drive scream, weighing in at 30MB each (if I remember correctly), and would be better off just making a table of the results from each MPQ.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=16367.msg165500#msg165500 date=1172181173]
You don't have to do all of that. You can just save the memory as a file, decompile the functions, rewrite them to read from the "memory file" instead of actual memory, and you're temporarily set.

That makes sense, but it can't possibly be that easy though. Lockdown probably also hashes the area that it loaded itself into, so that the memory image changes with each MPQ. If that's so, you'd need 2000 memory dumps -- enough to make anyones hard drive scream, weighing in at 30MB each (if I remember correctly), and would be better off just making a table of the results from each MPQ.

While I know I'm not even hardly qualified to theorize, what if the process was like this:

1. Save memory as file
2. Decompile functions, make them read from memory file
3. Copy memory file to a separate file
4. When getting MPQ, 'load' MPQ into the memory file copy (akin to patching it?)
5. Connect
6. Delete patched file

Wouldn't that work? And wouldn't that save memory, since you'd be patching the original memory file, and hashing it?
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Warrior

Quote from: UserLoser on February 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
Quote from: Warrior on February 22, 2007, 03:27 PM

Problem.

C++ or C# are the choices at the moment, leaning towards C# because it seems fun and it's new to me kind of.  But then again, my patcher code is written in C++

Just use Interop Services if you use C# with a C++ Patcher DLL :P
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Ringo

Yay, the main BNLS server is back up :)
I sent my CRDB.bin to hdx yesterday, so if BNLS goes down again, use jbls :P
I think he said he will have time to apply it on monday.

[15:29:26] BNLS Stats: 25323 Connection Requests, 67 Ip Bans Issued (1 Still Banned), 370 Rejects, 18805 CR Requests, 18503 success, 302 failed, 1481 Mins UpTime

<3 My IP Ban mod :)

Don Cullen

bnls.dementedminds.net has been updated to redirect accordingly. I'm writing a script that will test connection to bnls.valhallalegends.com twice daily, and upon connection failure, it'll modify the CNAME record for the bnls.dementedminds.net sub domain and have it start redirecting to jbls.org, when connection is reestablished to bnls.valhalllegends.com, it'll automatically update the CNAME record to redirect back there.

This way, bnls.dementedminds.net should be reliable... Or at least that is my goal.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Hdx

Once I figure out how to automatically edit the CName of one fo my sub-domains I can jsut interlace that with my BNLS Status checker, and yours would be obsolete :P
And im out of town for busniess this week, but i will be getting back in sunday at midnight, then I got school so the soonest I would be able to work on JBLS is monday.
Probably upgrading my main server to use lockdown monday night 11ish.
~Hdx

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Don Cullen

I know how to automatically edit the CNAME for the sub-domains. I'd be happy to assist you. I do not mind making bnls.dementedminds.net obsolete. My only intent was to provide the bnet community with a reliable bnls address that works with lockdown. If I had the skills and the knowledge, I'd have programmed my own BNLS server. Unfortunately my knowledge/skills are severely limited in that aspect. Shall we speak on IM? I have all of the services, so it doesn't matter which IM service you use. I emailed you my contact info. 
Regards,
Don
-------

Elneroth

I have a 100% uptime 100MBPS dedicated server if you guys need a reliable server to host one on.

Don Cullen

Hdx has denied my request for permission to have bnls.dementedminds.net redirected to JBLS.org automatically when bnls.valhallalegends.com goes down again. Hdx has stated that people should just go directly to JBLS. Since there are no other alternative servers, there is no point to hosting a redirector.

I emailed the automatic CNAME editing information to Hdx, so you can expect him to implement that as well.

Until Hdx gets around to implementing lockdown support, use bnls.valhallalegends.com. When Hdx has implemented it, you can use JBLS as an alternative (jbls.org). Bnls.dementedminds.net has been shut down. Thank you for your patience with my amusing amateurish antics/attempts to assist the bnet community.
Regards,
Don
-------

|