• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Safe to ignore 0x4A (SID_OPTIONALWORK) and 0x4C (SID_REQUIREDWORK)?

Started by Don Cullen, February 14, 2007, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Cullen

Safe to ignore 0x4A (SID_OPTIONALWORK) and 0x4C (SID_REQUIREDWORK)? I just ran into this.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Barabajagal

Quote from: Kyro on February 14, 2007, 04:54 PM
Safe to ignore 0x4A (SID_OPTIONALWORK) and 0x4C (SID_REQUIREDWORK)? I just ran into this.
For now, yes. It's completely safe to totally ignore them. So far, Blizzard hasn't added a check to see if the clients are using these packets.

Don Cullen

Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Ringo

Didnt the sever use to disconnect clients at 0x0A, for not checking the file time with 0x33 for 0x4A extra work?

Barabajagal

As far as I know, no. My bot's never used filetime or any of the work packets, and it connects fine on any client.

Ringo

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
As far as I know, no. My bot's never used filetime or any of the work packets, and it connects fine on any client.
Now ye, but awhile back im sure it used to boot users that didnt check its file time. Can anyone else remember this?
On that note, I would persionaly check the filetime for all 0x4A/0x4C requests just to keep the bnet server happy, just incase they switch it back on :)

Don Cullen

Regards,
Don
-------

Hdx

BNCS packet 0x33
I also suggest you download the files as well.
I always would like my bots to d/l the ads/mpqs. (Not run, jsut dl)
~Hdx

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Ringo

When you get 0x4A or 0x4C, send a 0x33 packet with the filename.
You dont need to parse 0x33 responce if you dont want/need to.

[EDIT]: oops I missread bnetdocs, 0x4B is C>S only :P

UserLoser

Don't remember of any such violation, and yes, you can safely ignore both of these

Barabajagal

Since we're on the topic...
Quote from: SID_OPTIONALWORK - http://bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com/content.php?Section=m&Code=429
The client will only execute this entirely if the registry key HKCU\Software\Battle.net\Optimize\SysDesc [REG_DWORD] is set to 1.

How much does "execute this entirely" mean? Does it not download? not check the filetime? not run?

UserLoser

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 15, 2007, 01:28 AM
Since we're on the topic...
Quote from: SID_OPTIONALWORK - http://bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com/content.php?Section=m&Code=429
The client will only execute this entirely if the registry key HKCU\Software\Battle.net\Optimize\SysDesc [REG_DWORD] is set to 1.

How much does "execute this entirely" mean? Does it not download? not check the filetime? not run?

It will ExtraWork will nothing and client will send nothing back to Battle.net

Barabajagal

So, as a bot user, what should one do? I added support for all three of these packets (though extrawork is never called currently), and all it does right now is download and extract the DLLs if they're outdated or nonexistant. Should the bot call the ExtraWork function and return SID_EXTRAWORK or what?

Ringo

UserLoser

Quote from: Ringo on February 15, 2007, 01:38 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on February 14, 2007, 08:33 PM
Don't remember of any such violation, and yes, you can safely ignore both of these
Back in 2004, it did :)

Doesn't make sense, because if SysDesc isn't enabled there is no response