• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Safe to ignore 0x4A (SID_OPTIONALWORK) and 0x4C (SID_REQUIREDWORK)?

Started by Don Cullen, February 14, 2007, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: UserLoser on February 15, 2007, 08:23 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 15, 2007, 01:38 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on February 14, 2007, 08:33 PM
Don't remember of any such violation, and yes, you can safely ignore both of these
Back in 2004, it did :)

Doesn't make sense, because if SysDesc isn't enabled there is no response

Actually I did some testing on this few days ago.. it looks like it will answer no matter what when it first downloads the file, if the file is cached however, it will only answer if SysDesc is enabled.
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

brew

If blizzard disabled the disconnection of clients upon receiving this packet back then, they probably did it for a good reason. I really, doubt they will enable that action again. To be on the safe side I would still send 0x4Bs and 0x33s. I'd like to know, since when has Ringo had the time to research this packet? The only kind of "work" the server is enforcing is the 0x4C, which is completely different from the 0x4a where it would extract and include itself into the mpq no matter what.
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

UserLoser

To end the thread, yes it's safe to ignore both and there is no punishment for not using ExtraWork

Don Cullen

Quote from: UserLoser on February 16, 2007, 12:55 PMyes it's safe to ignore both and there is no punishment for not using ExtraWork

For now.  ;)

Anyway, thanks for the quick response and enormous amounts of assistance from everyone -- it most certainly is appreciated. :)
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

UserLoser

Quote from: Kyro on February 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on February 16, 2007, 12:55 PMyes it's safe to ignore both and there is no punishment for not using ExtraWork

For now.  ;)

Anyway, thanks for the quick response and enormous amounts of assistance from everyone -- it most certainly is appreciated. :)

Always, there is no gaurantee that the DLL will be successfully extracted from the MPQ ever, and there is no gaurantee that the user/process will have access to execute ExtraWork

Joe[x86]

You *should* run ExtraWork if you've written the coding for it. It just harvests machine specifications so they know what their average customer is using, for future game optimzation.

That said, here's my code for these:

else if(buf.getCode() == SID_OPTIONALWORK)
        {
        out.systemMessage(DEBUG, "Server is requesting that we execute " + buf.removeNTString() + ". (SID_REQUIREWORK)");
        }
        else if(buf.getCode() == SID_REQUIREDWORK)
        {
        out.systemMessage(DEBUG, "Server is requiring that we execute " + buf.removeNTString() + ". (SID_REQUIREWORK)");
        }
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Barabajagal

Just wondering... but how does one run it? Just call the ExtraWork API with no extra declarations?

Edit: nope, that crashes...

brew

Did anyone try disassembling the extrawork dlls? I'm sure they're just to make code optimizations... Why are we even worrying about this... it is optional after all ^^
<3 Zorm

Barabajagal

Found VB code to use it here, written by TheMinistered. Testing it now to see if it still works. BreW, the goal is to emulate the client as perfectly as possible, so that if blizzard CHANGES anything, it means less work for the programmer, and less annoyance for the end users.

Edit: I ran the code so that the DLL was "C:\My Documents\Programming\VB\RippleChatBot\Tmp\MPQs\IX86FarSight.dll" (the location of the dll), the address was 151982125, and the varptr was 1241056 (the numbers are required for ExtraWorkMarshaller.CallExtraWork). As far as I can tell, I did everything right, but VB just completely closes on me with no error when i run it. Guess the code doesn't work for the new DLLs?
BTW: The DivertTo "8B442408 8B4C240C FFD0 8B542410 8902 31C0 C21000" probably needs to be changed, but I don't know what to or how to find out.

l)ragon

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 17, 2007, 07:00 AM
Found VB code to use it here, written by TheMinistered. Testing it now to see if it still works. BreW, the goal is to emulate the client as perfectly as possible, so that if blizzard CHANGES anything, it means less work for the programmer, and less annoyance for the end users.

Edit: I ran the code so that the DLL was "C:\My Documents\Programming\VB\RippleChatBot\Tmp\MPQs\IX86FarSight.dll" (the location of the dll), the address was 151982125, and the varptr was 1241056 (the numbers are required for ExtraWorkMarshaller.CallExtraWork). As far as I can tell, I did everything right, but VB just completely closes on me with no error when i run it. Guess the code doesn't work for the new DLLs?
BTW: The DivertTo "8B442408 8B4C240C FFD0 8B542410 8902 31C0 C21000" probably needs to be changed, but I don't know what to or how to find out.
That sounds like you just might be calling the function wrong in someway.
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

Ante

Efficiency is the Key to Productivity, and
Productivity is the Key to Success.

brew

It's downloaded from battle.net's FTP server, then if a certain registry value =s 1, it includes itself into the .mpq. We believe it makes optimizations for starcraft based on the system's specifications etc. as a way of optimizing starcraft without making a patch. and @ Reality, could you even find an entry point to the .dll? I always thought that .dlls were extracted from the mpqs then the acual functions were added into broodat.mpq or stardat.mpq then loaded by Starcraft on runtime. Is this accurate at all?
<3 Zorm

rabbit

You're wrong.  ExtraWork is its own archive, it doesn't "include itself" into anything.  ExtraWork is what is used if you check off the box that says "Allow Blizzard to collect annonymous usage information" (or whatever) after an update.  Nobody believes what you do, because you are wrong about everything.  You are also not part of We (see: everybody hates you).
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Don Cullen

Quote from: rabbit on February 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
You're wrong.  ExtraWork is its own archive, it doesn't "include itself" into anything.  ExtraWork is what is used if you check off the box that says "Allow Blizzard to collect annonymous usage information" (or whatever) after an update.  Nobody believes what you do, because you are wrong about everything.  You are also not part of We (see: everybody hates you).

No need to get hostile, rabbit. He was trying to help. Even if he was inaccurate. And besides, he did say:

QuoteIs this accurate at all?

He was acknowledging the possibility that he was inaccurate, and he asked for people to correct him if he was wrong. I'm not taking sides, I just would like to see a professional forum lacking in hostility from all sides. :)
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

brew

Wait, rabbit. If that's what ExtraWork does then how come you get it at every login? And only after a successful patch install? By the way, you're not allowed to respond "no", or else you won't be able to load starcraft (until you do)
I, really don't believe at all, that's what the ExtraWork dll does.
<3 Zorm

|