• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

BNLS needs a method to stop idiots..

Started by Skeptical, January 11, 2007, 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

MyndFyre

Quote from: dlStevens on January 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
*Sigh* Why does popularity matter on the internet anyways... Is it going to get you anywhere?; Probably not.

Dean: "Do you have someone who can reccomend you?"
You: "OOH, YEUH! IM A UB3R PROGRAMMUR ON BNET, EVERYONE KNOWZ ME DER!"

:-[, Idiots.

Popularity doesn't matter.  Ability does.  I don't have a degree in CS.  I graduated from college in May; by December I had landed a Senior Developer position.  What did my portfolio have?  My Battle.net stuff.

Doing this work can get you places.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

UserLoser

Yeah people tend to laugh at this kind of stuff, but if you look at what a complex chatter bot has it in it, it has most of the fundamentals used out there.  Networking, GUI, databases, sometimes scripting, graphical stuff, data encryption/compression/hashes, algorithms, complex data structures, etc, etc.  Now of course, we are not talking about random john doe's elite floodbot.  Something like UserBot of course, work based off of hardcore reverse engineering on Blizzard's libraries.

I submitted code for my UserBot which I was re-writing at the time in C++ (overlapped i/o completion ports, icons.bni rendering, owner drawn windows, versioncheck file patcher [this isn't a easy process, took many hours of reversing to get it right], multiple profiles per executable accessed through system tray interface, just a couple of things to name) for a job a couple of months back.  That might not sound like much, but when you look at the way the core of the bot was written and how the i/o completion ports fall into place with everything, it's pretty neat.  The guy was stunned at it all and was extremely impressed, he showed his team too and one of the company heads and they were shocked to find out I was only 18 at the time, and self-taught with no degrees.  They said it was all good, but the stuff they do is in C#.  So unfortunately I had to turn down a good job.

Look at Skywing, he is a Microsoft SDK MVP, but to you, he is a nobody who wrote BNLS and you kids abuse it for your own personal enjoyment.  Ask zorm, he can vouch for me and still bugs me to this day to update my bot and was suprised at my work when I shared some sources with him a while ago.

rabbit

Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

replaced

Wow, your an idiot if you think you'll have a programming job in 10 yrs, (think india / china, and think minimum wage)

http://odesk.com/ -- all the countries (esp india) charge less

http://books.slashdot.org/books/04/12/16/2319240.shtml?tid=192&tid=156&tid=103&tid=6 -- look what democrats want (lose ur job)

big companies almost always take over, that is what capitalism is about.

UserLoser

Quote from: replaced on January 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
Wow, your an idiot if you think you'll have a programming job in 10 yrs, (think india / china, and think minimum wage)

http://odesk.com/ -- all the countries (esp india) charge less

http://books.slashdot.org/books/04/12/16/2319240.shtml?tid=192&tid=156&tid=103&tid=6 -- look what democrats want (lose ur job)

big companies almost always take over, that is what capitalism is about.

Nobody said they did.  You know why?  Because people here already have computer jobs.  Skywing, MyndFyre and I (just a few to name) have jobs computer related.  It was unfortunate for me that I had to turn it down though because it was C# based.

Warrior

Moral of this story: Learn C#. Kthx.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Newby

Quote from: UserLoser on January 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
Skywing, MyndFyre and I (just a few to name) have jobs computer related.  It was unfortunate for me that I had to turn it down though because it was C# based.

You have a computer-related job... but you had to turn it down? Or do you have another one you forgot to mention?
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Dale

Seriously? do you think colleges care whether someone can program a emulated chat client for a server? No... They'll probably think you're a hacker too. Which they obviously don't want...

Maybe if you show them you can code (No not in Visual Basic 6 either); but in C/C++, Java...etc than possibly they'd be impressed.

A portfolio should contain shit that you have accomplished over the years, for your own use, or commercial not something that represents malicious use of a server. Understand?...  :-* ::)

Newby

Quote from: dlStevens on January 17, 2007, 05:27 PM
Seriously? do you think colleges care whether someone can program a emulated chat client for a server? No... They'll probably think you're a hacker too. Which they obviously don't want...

Maybe if you show them you can code (No not in Visual Basic 6 either); but in C/C++, Java...etc than possibly they'd be impressed.

A portfolio should contain shit that you have accomplished over the years, for your own use, or commercial not something that represents malicious use of a server. Understand?...  :-* ::)

No. You're an idiot. :P
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

topaz

Several people just mentioned how they have/could have gotten jobs directly related to their work in Battle.net bot dev, and then you spout this shit? ARE YOU JOKES? YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A JOB
RLY...?

UserLoser

Quote from: Newby on January 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on January 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
Skywing, MyndFyre and I (just a few to name) have jobs computer related.  It was unfortunate for me that I had to turn it down though because it was C# based.

You have a computer-related job... but you had to turn it down? Or do you have another one you forgot to mention?

The job was mine.  I had the position if I wanted it, it was in my hands.  I turned it down because I did not want to learn C#.  Simple as that, what is so hard to understand

Dale

Quote from: Newby on January 17, 2007, 05:35 PM

No. You're an idiot. :P

Enough from you Newby  :D I get it enough from x86.  ;)

topaz, Who said that the colleges (or jobs)  wouldn't of accepted (or hired) you if, you didn't have that battle.net related stuff?

warz

Quote from: UserLoser on January 17, 2007, 06:20 PMThe job was mine.  I had the position if I wanted it, it was in my hands.  I turned it down because I did not want to learn C#.  Simple as that, what is so hard to understand

The fact that quality paychecks were as close as learning a language similar to one you already know. Then again, personally I think the only way I'd venture into programming as a profession would if I was going to be hired by a large company - one of the leaders in software development. I think right now investment banking is where it's at, which is why I'm in college for that! :P

Quote from: UserLoser on January 16, 2007, 10:06 PMLook at Skywing, he is a Microsoft SDK MVP, ...

thats like a forum rank. all that means is you post nonstop on their forums. it doesn't mean you're certified in anything other than that :P

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpexecsum

Newby

Quote from: UserLoser on January 17, 2007, 06:20 PM
The job was mine.  I had the position if I wanted it, it was in my hands.  I turned it down because I did not want to learn C#.  Simple as that, what is so hard to understand

Why you didn't just pick up C# and take the job? :P
- Newby

UserLoser

Quote from: Newby on January 17, 2007, 07:19 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on January 17, 2007, 06:20 PM

Why you didn't just pick up C# and take the job? :P

I did for a while, I had to learn some MSSQL stuff too.  Everything went ok, but in my current job I'm working fulltime/going to school fulltime so I don't have time for this.  Especially since it's a whole new language to me, I wouldn't have time to learn anything "complex" or what not and deal with tough things with little knowledge.

|