• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Trouble dealing with raw packets...

Started by djuhn, December 07, 2006, 06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djuhn

Quote from: l)ragon on December 08, 2006, 06:34 PM
Quote from: Ersan on December 08, 2006, 03:39 AM
Split clumped packets by 0xFF, or use an efficient debuffer.
Splitting by 0xFF is not a good idea, you should be processing via the packet length.

i was trying to parse using packet length, but there is "rubbish" data following some but not all packets, which presents a problem when some packets are joined together with "rubbish" data in between them.

Ersan

I've never experienced this, even using raw sockets with winpcap :-\

Joe[x86]

Bad idea. What if the packet contains an 0xFF in it's data?

FF 25 08 00 FF FF FF FF

Although unlikely, that's a totally legit SID_PING.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

Quote from: djuhn on December 09, 2006, 06:41 AM
Quote from: l)ragon on December 08, 2006, 06:34 PM
Splitting by 0xFF is not a good idea, you should be processing via the packet length.

i was trying to parse using packet length, but there is "rubbish" data following some but not all packets, which presents a problem when some packets are joined together with "rubbish" data in between them.
"rubbish" data that you see between packets in a packet capture will not be delivered to the application using the socket; it's consumed by the TCP/IP stack.  Parse by length, it's the correct way.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.