• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Get SC/BW to Accept Unicode?

Started by rabbit, December 03, 2006, 01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

I want to have BW read and print unicode characters properly (specifically to work with Microsoft IME), but I can't find a way to.  How can I do this?
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

l2k-Shadow

you'll probably need them convert to ASCII.
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

rabbit

The point of unicode is that it allows for characters that are outside of the ASCII range.  I don't get what the hell you're suggesting.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Skywing

Recent versions of Starcraft should support UTF-8 encoding of Unicode characters.

rabbit

Note the "should"!  IME doesn't even work in Brood War (it's still ASCII), and there are big blocks of bad text or question marks:

l2k-Shadow

It has to work correctly if you have the right crap installed though, seeing as Koreans are able to talk through it, like I said before, you are probably out of luck with the default American font/language, and are forced to use ASCII, like when Koreans talk in a channel and you go in there the characters are turned into ASCII.
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

Skywing

Quote from: rabbit on December 04, 2006, 05:51 AM
Note the "should"!  IME doesn't even work in Brood War (it's still ASCII), and there are big blocks of bad text or question marks:
This is not all that surprising to me.  As far as I know, Starcraft still uses ANSI windows and text manipulation after decoding UTF-8 received from Battle.net.  I would assume that you would need to set your default locale in order to see characters of a different character set, since before they are output, they are being translated into 8-bit characters.

At a protocol level, however, Battle.net does support Unicode (finally) in the form of UTF-8.  Starcraft should be sending UTF-8 for text messages, and any client with proper support for rendering text in Unicode should be able to view the original text regardless of the local locale configuration.

rabbit

Stealth

Does that Starcraft UI font support those characters?
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

rabbit

Dunno.  It's just a generic install (so probably not).

FrOzeN

Um.. it's fairly simple. And by Unicode I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Korean characters? (Not sure what other Unicode characters there are on Battle.net other than Korean.)

Control Panel -> Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options -> Add other languages -> Check the box to "Install files for East Asian languages". Then insert your WinXP Cd and get the files and such (IIRC, it said it was about 253mb). After you've installed that go to the "Advanced" tab and select "Korean" from the languages menu. Click apply and install it then restart you're computer. Then select Korean in the language bar and re-install StarCraft/BroodWar (it came up with a problem when trying to connect to Battle.net after changing the language). Then after that you can switch back to English and Korean text will now show in StarCraft/BroodWar.

Note I'd never done this before until about 20 minutes ago. So if you can't follow what I said, then it should be fairly common sense to figure out how to get Korean installed.

[EDIT] I also forgot to mention. That in the language bar when you select Korean it has a button "A". By toggling that on/off you can have you're keyboard type in English/Korean.

한국 원본 통역은 빨n다.
~ FrOzeN

Joe[x86]

Yeah, ít mákés úsíng ácçéntéd çháráctérs á lót éásíér, tóó. (US International).

Plus, you can do this too:
θεσε πεοπλε αρε στθπιδ.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Hero

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=16102.msg162242#msg162242 date=1165299875]
Yeah, ít mákés úsíng ácçéntéd çháráctérs á lót éásíér, tóó. (US International).

Plus, you can do this too:
θεσε πεοπλε αρε στθπιδ.
Like a child in a candy shop, shame.

rabbit

Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Taiwan?, Greek, Arabic, and Russian are all already installed :\

FrOzeN

Make it so you have both settings like so (see image below) and then reinstall StarCraft and see if that works.

~ FrOzeN