• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

[HTML] Frames question

Started by GSX, October 06, 2006, 12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSX

I have a page set up in frames... Only issues being, is that one frame is larger than the page itself, and I want the page to stretch to fit the frame... I've googled about, and asked friends, and no anwers.

Any help would be appreciated.

rabbit

Don't use frames.  Use tables or divs (divs suck, use tables).
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

GSX

I would, but my site is entirely HTML (because I'm a retarded dumbass and I only know HTML and some VB6), and I have to update news frequently, and there's a shitload of pages (It's a flash animation/game site). So frames make it easy for me to keep the site organized and shit. I had it in tables before, but every time I added a link to the navigation bar, I'd have to go through like 30 pages and add it which was a pain in the ass. Sooo, switched it to frames, which caused this issue, and that's about it.

Any other suggestions on how I can fix this? I tried putting the frames INTO a table so I could set the table height and shit, buuutttt that didn't work, the table just went over the frames.

rabbit

Are you on Geocities or some retarded shit like that?
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

GSX

Nope, my friend is hosting me. Not some gay free host bs.

PS - Here's the source of my index.html page with the frames... It's not the cleanest, but I'm pretty sure you can get the idea...

<! #index.html >
<TITLE>151</TITLE>
<HTML>

<frameset cols="13%,*">
<frame name="frmLeftNull" src="null.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
<frameset cols="84%,*">
<frameset rows="19%,*">
<frame name="frmBanner" src="banner.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
<frameset cols="19%,*">
<frame name="frmNav" src="nav.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
<frame name="frmMain" src="news.html" noresize scrolling="no" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
</frameset>
</frameset>
<frame name="frmRightNull" src="null2.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
</frameset>
</frameset>

</HTML>

I don't want scrolling in my news section, nor in any other, I just left them in auto because the page isn't done yet... I just want it to expand the browser window so that the ENTIRE page is visible. (As of now, it only shows about half of frmMain's content, which is a problem.)

rabbit

Tables and PHP (all you'll need is include()).  Way easier.

GSX

All right, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Akamas

Quote from: rabbit on October 06, 2006, 05:54 AM
Don't use frames.  Use tables or divs (divs suck, use tables).

*laugh* tables are trash, divs > tables.
Quote from: Arta[vL] on August 14, 2006, 04:57 PM
Well, I want some too. Greedy Yoni should stop hogging it.

Scope

I find div's more effecient because you can implement CSS into them. Thats how most of the CMS websites use their systems, unless it has a pre-defined Module code that does all the work for you.

rabbit

CSS goes into anything.  And of 3 large CMS I've written, I've always used table over div, and then span for specific bits.

Mitosis

Divs are meant for page layout, not tables. Instead of saying divs suck, Rabbit, you should probably look into how to write a website that follows semantics. Sure tables work, but they are not intended to create layouts, but display tabular data. http://www.cameronmoll.com/ has some great articles that may interest you.

rabbit

I can create an XHTML page which is W3 compliance using tables and spans, and no divs.  So what's the problem?

FrOzeN

Quote from: rabbit on November 05, 2006, 06:37 AM
I can create an XHTML page which is W3 compliance using tables and spans, and no divs.  So what's the problem?
http://webdesign.about.com/od/layout/a/aa111102a.htm
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,86595.0.html

Overall, divs are much more flexible, and require less coding.
~ FrOzeN

Mitosis

Your page may be valid, but it doesn't necessarily mean it fllows semantics.

Akamas

Quote from: rabbit on November 01, 2006, 03:49 PM
CSS goes into anything.  And of 3 large CMS I've written, I've always used table over div, and then span for specific bits.

No, CSS goes better into divs and gives you much more flexibility.

Quote from: rabbit on November 05, 2006, 06:37 AM

Neat. I can create that exact XHTML valid page in ~70% less characters.

You do realize that your page would be composed of ~80% useless table code, ~10% other random code and ~10% content, which is terrible for SEO (Search engine optimization). Your website traffic will decrease by at least 50% by discouraging the crawlers with your messy useless code.

I think you should get out of the 90's web development world and update your coding methods.
Quote from: Arta[vL] on August 14, 2006, 04:57 PM
Well, I want some too. Greedy Yoni should stop hogging it.