• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

calling functions from loaded libraries

Started by l2k-Shadow, September 12, 2006, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l2k-Shadow

Is this possible? Let's say I use LoadLibrary() to load a .dll and GetProcAddress to retrieve a pointer to a function in the library, how can I then call the function using VB?
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

Joe[x86]

Why?

Declare Function FunctionName lib "DllName.dll" (Arguments as ArgumentTypes) as ReturnType
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

UserLoser

Quote from: l2k-Shadow on September 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
Is this possible? Let's say I use LoadLibrary() to load a .dll and GetProcAddress to retrieve a pointer to a function in the library, how can I then call the function using VB?

There is no easy way.  You would have to do some crazy stuff like in this thread

UserLoser

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=15673.msg157825#msg157825 date=1158119354]
Why?

Declare Function FunctionName lib "DllName.dll" (Arguments as ArgumentTypes) as ReturnType

Perhaps he wants to call Extrawork or CheckRevision or something similiar in another application.

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

TheMinistered

Allright, in MOST cases you shouldn't need to use LoadLibrary.  Most cases Declare Function or Declare Sub should work well.

The only instances might be passing arguements a different method/weirdly (perhaps the dll was written in asm?) or its a different calltype (like fastcall, that example userloser posted calls a function with fastcall, where first two params are passed via registers) etc

MyndFyre

Since this is the Visual Basic forum, I'll point out that this is one of the benefits of ugrading to Visual Basic 2005 is that this could be much simpler.

I don't know what the calling convention is for ExtraWork, but for a generalized C function, let's say, from SFmpq.dll:

__declspec(dllexport) int SFileOpenArchive(char* fileName, HMPQ* mpqHandle);

Visual Basic 2005 can do this:

Private Delegate Function SFileOpenArchiveCallback(ByVal fileName As String, _
  ByRef mpqHandle As IntPtr) As Integer

Public Class MpqApi
  Private Shared s_openArchive As SFileOpenArchiveCallback

<DllImport("kernel32")>_
  Private Shared Function LoadLibrary(ByVal fileName As String) As IntPtr
  <DllImport("kernel32")>_
  Private Shared Function GetProcAddress(ByVal hMod As IntPtr, ByVal proc As String)

Public Shared Function OpenArchive(ByVal fileName As String) As IntPtr
    If fileName = Nothing Then Throw New ArgumentNullException()

If s_openArchive = Nothing Then Initialize()

Dim result As IntPtr = IntPtr.Zero
    Dim opResult As Integer
    opResult = s_openArchive(fileName, ByRef result)
    If opResult <> 1 Throw New Exception("Error code " & opResult)
    Return result
  End Function

Public Shared Sub Initialize()
    Dim hMod As IntPtr, proc As IntPtr
    hMod = LoadLibrary("sfmpq.dll")
    If hMod = IntPtr.Zero Then Throw New Win32Exception(Marshal.GetLastWin32Error())
    proc = GetProcAddress(hMod, "SFileOpenArchive")
    If proc = IntPtr.Zero Then Throw New Win32Exception(Marshal.GetLastWin32Error())

s_openArchive = CType(Marshal.GetDelegateForFunctionPointer(proc, GetType(SFileOpenArchiveCallback)), SFileOpenArchiveCallback)
  End Sub

End Class

Still wordy, but using .NET 2.0, you can late-bind to any exported function of any DLL that can be LoadLibrary'd as long as you have a compatible delegate.  In truth, you can likely even use the base Delegate type and DynamicInvoke on it as long as you pass the right number of parameters.

Anyway.... just thought I'd throw that out there.  ;)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.