• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

How to disable the Windows Messenger Service

Started by Yoni, June 06, 2003, 06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

Hahahahaaha, that's great.  Companies trying to sell the information of how to turn off a service!

Thing

Maybe if he sends me $99.99 this week only,  I'll tell him how to turn of directory indexing. >:D

http://www.howtodisablemessenger.com/images/
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Grok

Quote from: Thing on June 06, 2003, 09:49 AM
Maybe if he sends me $99.99 this week only,  I'll tell him how to turn of directory indexing. >:D

http://www.howtodisablemessenger.com/images/

For a small 10% royalty of all future proceeds you earn from this information, I'll tell you that it is directory browsing and not directory indexing.

Yoni

+1 to Thing. That's just... awesome.  8)

Crypticflare

lol thats great. To bad if you view source you can get to the next link without paying :/. I'll charge you a piece of terryaki beef jerky to get in on the deal!

Thing

I keep my 10% from Grok and charge him $5.49 for pointing out that he's on an Apache box, not IIS.

Grok

Hehe whatever.

I gave you +1 since Yoni said he would, but didn't.

Yoni

Naem

اگر بتوانید این را بهخوابید ، من را "پی ام" کنید

iago

I guess the irony is that they are the only ones I've ever been spammed by (every time I install windows, they are the first to send me a message to force me to disable messanger service)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Mesiah / haiseM

whats most funny of all, is that its common sense to disable services, i dont see how anybody could not know how to do it...

Everytime i restart my computer, around once a week or two, i always run msconfig, disable startup processes, disable services, scan registry, and other precautions to ensure the best that my crappy system can provide, but i find it absolutely hillarious that they would charge somebody to disable a service, which takes a total of 10 seconds to perform.

Maybe they should look more into blocking port 135 on windows xp and windows 2000, which is a HUGE vulnerability, that allows people to connect, send massive amounts of bull shit, causes svchost.exe to crash, and forces a restart. I think thats worth some money.. (As are firewalls :P)
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Yoni

Quote from: MesiaH on June 12, 2003, 02:46 PM
Maybe they should look more into blocking port 135 on windows xp and windows 2000, which is a HUGE vulnerability, that allows people to connect, send massive amounts of bull shit, causes svchost.exe to crash, and forces a restart. I think thats worth some money.. (As are firewalls :P)
You can easily block port 135 with a hardware firewall/router, or if you don't have one, by using the IPSec service in Win2k/XP.

Thing

QuoteI think thats worth some money.. (As are firewalls )
Firewalls??  Firewalls are for sissies who are afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.  What good is a firewall going to do you if somebody exploits a vulnerability through a purposefully open port?  The end result is the same with or without a firewall, they got root and you got the shaft.

Yoni

That's why I said "firewall/router". Many routers call themselves firewalls to sell better.

A hardware device that acts as a firewall but not as a router sounds pretty stupid...