• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

triangle/circle thing

Started by Probe, May 23, 2006, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Probe

you have a circle with a radius of 1 inscribed in a general triangle. what is the minimum area of the triangle? anyone know how to do this or could give some hints?

rabbit

The minimum area of the triangle is slightly more than that of the circle ;)
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Probe

thanks, but that doesnt really help =]

rabbit

Then you, sir, have asked the wrong questions, because my post is exactly what you asked for.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Probe

Quote from: rabbit on May 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
Then you, sir, have asked the wrong questions, because my post is exactly what you asked for.
well sorry for not stating it explicitly, but i assumed people would know what i meant. let me rephrase for those who cant understand then:
could anyone explain, or give a hint, how to solve this, how to find the area of the triangle, given only the radius of the inscribed circle?

Explicit

Quote from: Probe on May 23, 2006, 03:56 PM
you have a circle with a radius of 1 inscribed in a general triangle. what is the minimum area of the triangle? anyone know how to do this or could give some hints?

Find the area of the triangle, then subtract the circle's area from the triangle's area to find what I think would be the minimum area of the triangle.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Probe

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on May 23, 2006, 06:13 PM
Quote from: Probe on May 23, 2006, 03:56 PM

Find the area of the triangle, then subtract the circle's area from the triangle's area to find what I think would be the minimum area of the triangle.
thanks, but how do i find the area of the triangle if all i know is the radius of the circle?

Lenny

You'll find some who don't know the answer (or even the question) post things which aren't worth reading on these forums :)

Regardless....

The inscribed triangle will have to be equilateral to minimize the area.  IIRC, there is another area formula specifically for an equilateral triangle.

But there is some identity relationship between the equilateral (or general) triangle and the circle I'm missing...

Using this identity, you could probably make a formula for the area, differentiate it and set this equal to 0 to find the minimum...
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

FrOzeN

~ FrOzeN