• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What are some good anti-abortion/abortion points?

Started by CrAz3D, April 18, 2006, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disco

Quote from: CrAz3D on April 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
Sorry, I should've said it earlier, please refrain from discussing/debating issues in this thread...I just want to compile a full list of for/against points.
Sometime soon I'll start a new thread so each point can be disputed or backed up.
Well I guess you could qualify that as a "for" point, but whatever, I'll stop.
Say it with me:

CrAz3D

SO far I've collected these points (from here & x86 forums)

FOR Abortion:
-Spares child of being unloved/unwanted
-Woman's right to choose
-Fetus can't think/reason/function as we can...it only has potential to become one of 'us'
-It doesn't matter

AGAINST Abortion:
-Child can't fufil potential
-Morality of killing
-Psychological effects of mother

Anyone else have anything they'd like to add before it does go to a debate?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Adron

For abortion:

Psychological effects of mother
Highest probability best outcome
Overpopulation
Going to be done anyway
Special circumstances
Just another type of family planning

quasi-modo

for: genetic disorder & birth defects. If it can be diagnosed in pregnancy it can save the child a very painful life and the family a lot of heart ache.
against: rape baby case where children who have been the offspring of a rape have spoken out about how glad they are that they were not aborted, maybe they were wards of the state and the mother didn't want to raise them, but they still did not choose to be born that way so why punish them.

another consideration: abourtion methods
Some of the methods used are incredible horrible. Chem abortion is the easiest way to go if it is early in the pregnancy (RU-486 is the abortion pill most commonly used tmk, works within first 5 weeks?), but it takes a while for the fetus to even die, to my knowlege the fetus suffocates because the placenta cannot form, so that would be an against point. Also the other methods can be very painful for a fetus that is in the later trymesters that is able to feel pain. Not only that but if their are complicated in the abortion you cant very well go after the planned parent hood clinic, you basically sign any rights you have away before getting to procedure done, you have no leg to stand on visa vi mal practice.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

CrAz3D

Birth defects fall under special circumstances, no?

Adron, regarding "Going to be done anyway", what do you mean?  Like even if it is illegal people will still do it?
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

quasi-modo

Quote from: CrAz3D on April 20, 2006, 04:33 PM

Adron, regarding "Going to be done anyway", what do you mean?  Like even if it is illegal people will still do it?
special circumstances should be broken up though. Because there are some special cicumstances, such as maybe a minor disorder where abortion might be wrong, and maybe a major one where the kid will have a painful life that is going to last all of five years at best where abortion might be considered humain. Special circumstances is just a very broad header. Also you have other circumstances like a fallopian pregnancy where the mothers health is at risk.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

CrAz3D

Quote from: quasi-modo on April 20, 2006, 04:37 PM

special circumstances should be broken up though. Because there are some special cicumstances, such as maybe a minor disorder where abortion might be wrong, and maybe a major one where the kid will have a painful life that is going to last all of five years at best where abortion might be considered humain. Special circumstances is just a very broad header. Also you have other circumstances like a fallopian pregnancy where the mothers health is at risk.
k, sounds good.
(ré-bun-dance)

Adron

It's the whole illegal abortion clinic problem - making abortions illegal will still have a number of women attempting abortions. And such unchecked clinics cause deaths and injuries.

UserLoser

For abortion:
Rape victims who become pregnant
Accidental babies (i.e. condom breaks, etc)

On another note:
Probably like my second post ever in this forum

MyndFyre

Quote from: UserLoser on April 22, 2006, 12:15 AM
For abortion:
Rape victims who become pregnant

On another note:
Probably like my second post ever in this forum
Yeah but banning abortions with the exclusion of rape victims (which makes sense to me) defeats that point for "for abortion".  Accidental babies are a risk you take when having sex; if you don't want the risk, don't engage in the risky behavior.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Adron

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 22, 2006, 01:53 PM
Accidental babies are a risk you take when having sex; if you don't want the risk, don't engage in the risky behavior.

Yeah, and abortion is convenient birth control; if you don't want to limit births, ban all forms of preventatives and make sex mandatory for all fertile citizens... ;)

jigsaw

A child is a miracle, the creation of life is something that is a gift from a power higher than us, period. I don't believe a human should take another human's life - and yes, that includes capital punishment. I don't care to hear "Oh but technically, its not a human", blah blah! It is, in my book, and the "Good Book" as well.  Look, adoption is the perfect solution to this "problem" a woman might be having. How about this: PREVENTION. It's called a condom, a man or a woman can wear one, or both! Sounds fun! We even have pills now-a-day, to prevent.

The only thing the woman is 'out' is the fact that 9 months out of her pathetic measly life will be to take care of the miracle inside of her. Doesn't sound so bad huh?

Or another solution, that is contradictory, but I think it's rather funny and would detour women from having abortions: the only option is to give the woman lethal injection, I mean atleast she gets to kill the baby right? I think it's fair, eh?

quasi-modo

Quote from: UserLoser on April 22, 2006, 12:15 AM
That is why there is such a thing as emergency contraceptive, aka the morning after pill. Taken within 72 hours it can reduce the chance of pregnancy by about 90%.
Quote from: Adron on April 22, 2006, 08:31 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 22, 2006, 01:53 PM
Accidental babies are a risk you take when having sex; if you don't want the risk, don't engage in the risky behavior.

Yeah, and abortion is convenient birth control; if you don't want to limit births, ban all forms of preventatives and make sex mandatory for all fertile citizens... ;)
400 bucks for the operation and risk of complications is not what I'd call conveiniant. Also, the abortion pill rocks your system a lot more than regular birth control or even the morning after pill. I'd say being smart to begin with and using contraceptive would be the conveiniant way to go. Kids these days are stupid when it comes ot birth control. I know people who actually reguard pulling out as an affective form of birth control. I know girls who have sex regularly but do not take their birth control pills at the same time nightly, or maybe not even nightly, but still expect it to remain 99.9% affective.
WAR EAGLE!

MyndFyre

Quote from: Adron on April 22, 2006, 08:31 PM
Wait a second, who said anything about limiting births?  This debate IMO has absolutely nothing to do with the rights of either or both parents; it exclusively has to do with the right of the unborn child.  Individually, neither a sperm nor an egg has enough genetic material to constitute a human being; once combined however, it does.

As I understand it the "morning after" pill still prevents conception.  I'm not particularly clear on the details on it and may be wrong.

And I'm iffy about your description of an abortion as "convenient," even before I read quasi's reply.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

quasi-modo

The morning after pill is like a big dose of hormones that flushes you out before conception can occur pretty much. It only works within 72 hours. The abortion pill on the other hand is different, it prevents the placenta from forming so the fetus starves / suffocates. It only works within the first trimester.
WAR EAGLE!

|