• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Windows XP Password Forgotten

Started by Joe[x86], April 18, 2006, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

Formatting is (nearly) not an option. Ugh.

My (stupid, VERY STUPID) little brother forgot the administrator password to the family computer, and he's the only one who has it. NOTE: DO NOT TRUST 12 YEAR OLDS AS COMPUTER ADMINISTRATORS!

Anyhow, I have full access to the internet through a LAN + a Linux box (Linux: 1; Windows 0). I can download anything I need and burn it to a CD / write it to a floppy.

I'm looking for a utility to overwrite the password to an account on Windows XP Serivce Pack II. Simply getting the password isn't needed, but if it works, go ahead (I know it's hashed, but eh).

Until then, I hold the only password to an account, which is limited. =/. After that, I'll hold the only administrator password, because we know I never forget. Btw, if you know a program to jack a limited account up to administrator (so I can reset the main admin's password), that'd work too.

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Networks

Quote from: J on April 18, 2006, 04:09 PM

My (stupid, VERY STUPID) little brother forgot the administrator password to the family computer, and he's the only one who has it. NOTE: DO NOT TRUST 12 YEAR OLDS AS COMPUTER ADMINISTRATORS!

Anyhow, I have full access to the internet through a LAN + a Linux box (Linux: 1; Windows 0). I can download anything I need and burn it to a CD / write it to a floppy.

I'm looking for a utility to overwrite the password to an account on Windows XP Serivce Pack II. Simply getting the password isn't needed, but if it works, go ahead (I know it's hashed, but eh).

Until then, I hold the only password to an account, which is limited. =/. After that, I'll hold the only administrator password, because we know I never forget. Btw, if you know a program to jack a limited account up to administrator (so I can reset the main admin's password), that'd work too.

Thanks in advance.

restart -> press f5 and boot in safe mode -> override the account. gg

or... use l0pht cracker and own those LM Hashes!

Yegg

Quote from: Networks on April 18, 2006, 05:06 PM

Thanks in advance.

L0pht cracker was what I was going to suggest. It's incredibly easy to operate, when I first used it I was amazed by how fast and how easily it worked.

Joe[x86]

No go. Damn box won't load it's silly drivers. POS.

Linkage?

Networks

Quote from: J on April 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
No go. Damn box won't load it's silly drivers. POS.

Linkage?

http://www.zeroforce.net -> Downloads -> Security Tools

topaz

RLY...?

Hero

I have a program that boots from a cd, when it loads up it gives you a option of changing the admin password, but it is late now so tomorrow i'll post it.

MrRaza

Try http://www.winternals.com/Products/AdministratorsPak/

mainly ERD Commander

From site,

- Includes the Locksmith utility to reset lost Administrator passwords

I'm sure you can find a copy somewhere on the internet.

MyndFyre

NOTE: DO NOT TRUST 12 YEAR OLDS AS COMPUTER ADMINISTRATORS!

Pssh, I've been my household's computer administrator since I was 7.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Explicit

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 20, 2006, 03:32 AM
NOTE: DO NOT TRUST 12 YEAR OLDS AS COMPUTER ADMINISTRATORS!

Pssh, I've been my household's computer administrator since I was 7.

Ditto.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Joe[x86]

Well I assume you had SOME clue what was going on, right Myndfyre? My brother is a moron, nothing more.

MyndFyre

Quote from: J on April 20, 2006, 07:01 AM
Well I assume you had SOME clue what was going on, right Myndfyre? My brother is a moron, nothing more.

That means your broad generalization about 12 year-olds was wrong.  12-year-olds who are complete morons shouldn't be admins.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Joe[x86]

Yeah. But the majority of 12-year-olds are complete morons, so eh.

Anyone know where the SAM file in Windows XP SP2 is? I'm gonna grab it with a Linux LiveCD (Linux: 1; Windows: 0) and then place it on C:.

MrRaza

USE ERD COmmander holy crap...

Explicit

Quote from: J on April 21, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah. But the majority of 12-year-olds are complete morons, so eh.

Anyone know where the SAM file in Windows XP SP2 is? I'm gonna grab it with a Linux LiveCD (Linux: 1; Windows: 0) and then place it on C:.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.