• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Cool acronyms?

Started by warz, April 17, 2006, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warz

What are some other acronyms similar to rafb, or rtfm ? Or just some cool acronyms.

disco

MAD = Mutually Assured Destruction
ELE = Extinction Level Event

I'm kinda in the middle of somethin right now or I'd post more.  Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.
Say it with me:

rabbit

The recursive acronyms are the best ones of all:
GNU - GNU is Not Unix
WINE - WINE Is Not an Emulator
etc...
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

warz

ah. im trying to think of a web address to register. i have 4 free registrations to use. heh. i kind of wanted to use an acronym, for a short url. i want something neat and short. :-\

If anyone can think of one I'll give you a subdomain and some space on it.

Spht

THPS - Tony Hawk Pro Skater

Joe[x86]

Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

UserLoser

warz

Joe[x86]

Quote from: UserLoser on April 17, 2006, 09:49 PM
gtfo

gtfa* ?

EDIT -
"HURD" is an indirectly recursive acronym, standing for "HIRD of Unix-Replacing Daemons", where "HIRD" stands for "HURD of Interfaces Representing Depth".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd

Grok

Quote from: J on April 17, 2006, 09:25 PM
PNG = PNG is Not Gif

PNG is Portable Network Graphics

Joe[x86]

Not according to the Wikipedia page, but now that you mention it I remember it meaning that. Maybe it has a dual meaning?

Hitmen

Quote from: J on April 18, 2006, 09:21 AM
Not according to the Wikipedia page, but now that you mention it I remember it meaning that. Maybe it has a dual meaning?
It's called a backronym.

quasi-modo

Yes, Portable Network Graphics is the real meaning, PNG is not gif is a slang backronym for it.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Grok

But it's simply not the meaning of PNG.  Saying it means something it does not, by coming up with some cute phrase, is nothing more than cute.  Either you're looking for acronyms that are cool, as the thread title implies, or you're asking anyone to come up with any cute redefinition of an acronym that pops into their heads.  I guess whatever floats your boat.

warz

Either way, creating a site named PNG isn't really what I had in mind anyways.