Yes, it's a MODERATION bot
11 (40.7%)
No, go with a UI!
2 (7.4%)
Who cares?
14 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

David

I think it's pointless and defeats the purpose of a moderation bot.
Quote from: l]ante on March 15, 2004, 11:40 AM
You learned 8 languages in 8 months?
Geez, go code a life.

Yegg

Quote from: David on April 11, 2006, 04:51 PM
I think it's pointless and defeats the purpose of a moderation bot.

It is all a matter of opinion.

warz

Depends, really. If you plan on just loading it and letting it sit for days on end without having to manually edit anything on it, then no, a ui would be sort of unecessary.

Spht

How do you expect users to communicate with the bot if there is no UI?

I think you meant GUI, in which case it is not necessary, but convinent for debugging.

rabbit

A removable GUI is nice.  JavaOp and JavaOp2 both have this feature, which allows it to act as either a pure moderation bot or a hybrid for chatting.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Joe[x86]

Seeing as how there's no option for a neutral oppinion, I picked "Who Cares?".

Personally, I'd like a bot that gives the option to the user; not to just hide the UI, but destroy it's objects, such as FoolOps and JavaOp do.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

topaz

Why'd you make a topic like this?
RLY...?

Joe[x86]

To collect people's opinions. We all know Furious couldn't program his way out of a DRY paper bag if his life depended on it. <3 Furious.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

David

Quote from: Topaz on April 11, 2006, 07:36 PM

To get a public opinion, I was curious of peoples thoughts on the issue.
Quote from: l]ante on March 15, 2004, 11:40 AM
You learned 8 languages in 8 months?
Geez, go code a life.

DeTaiLs

Because he is a waste of sperm so he figured he be a waste of bandwidth at the same time, jp <3 furious.

Spht

Quote from: David on April 11, 2006, 07:59 PM

To get a public opinion, I was curious of peoples thoughts on the issue.

I'm not sure why you would poll for opinions on this.

It's up to the developer.  Obviously having a GUI is more convenient for maintaining the bot, otherwise administrators would have to access the bot through the UI over Battle.net (or Botnet, or whatever else), which is less convenient.  It's pretty typical that users/consumers are going to want a product that can be used efficiently and easily.

It's like asking someone if they would like a vehicle with a remote car key, or without.

Sorc.Polgara

It's really up to you, the programmer.

It may vary on who the intended userbase is too.  If it's for personal use only, then no GUI with a console type UI may be perfectly fine.  However if it's intended to be used by others for the public to use, then a GUI is the way to go since it in general is easier to use and the average user tends to prefer a GUI over console type UI in general.  I believe that in the way of popularity, a GUI is a must as well.

EDIT:  Meh, most of what I said has already been said, oh well.

Adron

The question is UI or no UI, not GUI... I find it would be strange for a bot to have no interface to the user, including no whispered commands, no text output, and no way to start or stop it.

Spht

Quote from: Adron on April 12, 2006, 04:13 PM
The question is UI or no UI, not GUI... I find it would be strange for a bot to have no interface to the user, including no whispered commands, no text output, and no way to start or stop it.

Yes, which is why I'm thinking he meant GUI.  A bot with no UI is like a dog that doesn't obey.

Sorc.Polgara

Quote from: Spht on April 12, 2006, 05:43 PM
Quote from: Adron on April 12, 2006, 04:13 PM

Yes, which is why I'm thinking he meant GUI.  A bot with no UI is like a dog that doesn't obey.
Yeah... I was assuming that the poster really meant GUI as well :\