• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

AMD Processors

Started by Joe[x86], March 29, 2006, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

I heard they don't support the full IA32 instruction set. Is this true? What instructions does it not support? I'm looking into getting a new processor in the near future, because I don't feel like ordering a whole new box, but some components are old-ish.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

ADD, SUB, etc.  :P

Usually AMD gets on board with Intel's spec shortly after Intel releases it (note that AMD supports SSE2 and SSE3).  Having said so, I'm relatively sure that they have the same instruction set (at least on x86), and if they have machine code differences they're minimal.  Unfortunately, I'm not down for Google hunting for an answer - three different searches don't turn up much of a result.  ;)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Stealth

I don't think AMD's processors would have the market share they do currently if they were handicapped in some way compared to the industry standard.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

warz

Quote from: J on March 29, 2006, 09:28 AM
I heard they don't support the full IA32 instruction set. Is this true? What instructions does it not support? I'm looking into getting a new processor in the near future, because I don't feel like ordering a whole new box, but some components are old-ish.

What kind of fraternity is  Sigma upsilon kappa?

Joe[x86]

Quote from: warz on March 30, 2006, 03:49 AM
Quote from: J on March 29, 2006, 09:28 AM

What kind of fraternity is Sigma upsilon kappa?

Sigma upsilon kappa is transliterated to SUK, because Greek lacks a C. I suk.

Warrior

Oh god..if there is any difference it would be so minimal you would hardly notice unless you program at the OS level.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Warrior on March 30, 2006, 03:48 PM
Oh god..if there is any difference it would be so minimal you would hardly notice unless you program at the OS level.

Which is exactly why I asked?

Warrior

But you don't program at the low level, either way the differences can be seen by either googling a reference or comparing the AMD Docs to the Intel ones. AMD *should* list somewhere what they break/don't break.

Hint: Until you get really nasty into kernel development this shouldn't matter, with proper architecture branching in your code you should be able to detect processor features by using cpuid and enabling/disabling them at your liking in your system.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Joe[x86]

You seem to have forgotten a good 10 hours of your life from a few months ago. I did do pre-kernel development, and you should know that having taught me nearly all that I know.

Warrior

I taught you nearly nothing, it much more complicated. It's only the tip of the iceburg, read what I said for your answer.

Joe[x86]

Everybody starts somewhere, but yeah. You were a horrible teacher. <3

Thanks guys.