• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Windows 98 Trouble

Started by Ishbar, March 19, 2006, 12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishbar

Well its been a while but i've finally gotten my hands on a Compaq Presario 5000 series 600Mhz CPU. Nothing special, I know. Yet it's better than not having one at all!

So turns out this thing is running Win98. Naturaly i'd just use my 80 gig in substitute of the 15 which harbor's such an horrendous OS. But unfortunately in the falling of my previous pc, the hard-drive lost all its information, leaving it useless.
...Now I have a Win2K update cd, but the damn thing isnt reading EITHER of my CD roms! One already previously came equiped but I put in a 58x DVD ROM/CD ROM Player as well.

Here's what im' talking about...

I know the IDE cables function properly...I think. When I goto run an old Linux install, it boots from CD, but stops with some error talking about the CD-ROM and IDE cable..so Im not sure. Both Master Breakers are in, but I dont know if thats the problem...I mean, it shouldn't Be? Right?  :-\ Can anyone help! :(

warz

man thats a good picture

topaz

One of the cdroms need to be master, and the other slave. Readjust your jumpers accordingly and it'll work fine.
RLY...?

Ishbar

Topaz! Never on a first date, that wouldn't be very gentlemen-like of me.  :P

I'll go and try that now..

MrRaza

Also the female ends on the IDE cables should be matched up correctly with what the current jumper state the CD-ROM is in.

ie, =------------------=---------------------= <-- ide cable
    MoBo             Master                     seconday slave.
  conn.               cdrom

This might not be the case for CD-ROM's but it is when working with hard drives.

Also i remember something with win98 about how it can only support harddrive sizes less then 32 GB in size, or that might be for Win95, meh.

Yegg

Rhys, I didn't pay attention to when you were connecting the CD-ROM, you're dog is too playful. However, did you only connect the IDE cable? There is another thing that needs to be connected, I don't know if you put it in or not. I'm referring to the newer CD-ROM that is in the pc.

MrRaza

The cords that generally only connect to cd-roms are

1. IDE cable
2. Power Cord
3. and a sound cord that goes either to your on-board sound card or the actual sound card itself in the PCI-slot

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Ishbar on March 19, 2006, 12:09 PM
Topaz! Never on a first date, that wouldn't be very gentlemen-like of me. :P

I'll go and try that now..

Might be worth noting that most CDROM drives will have MASTER/SLAVE/AUTO, and you can safely pick auto and expect it to work.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.