• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Religion

Started by FrOzeN, March 11, 2006, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quasi-modo

here is a neat little annalogy a pastor at a church I once went to said: If you look once it's okay, but if you look twice it's sin. So if you see a hot girl it's one thing, but if you turn around and start to undress her with your eyes it is lust.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Yegg

Quote from: quasi-modo on March 13, 2006, 09:05 AM
here is a neat little annalogy a pastor at a church I once went to said: If you look once it's okay, but if you look twice it's sin. So if you see a hot girl it's one thing, but if you turn around and start to undress her with your eyes it is lust.

Well, it only makes sense. Simply looking at someone is alright, why shouldn't you be looking at someone, regardless of their looks? You could be talking to them. But looking at someone with lust is the sinful part.

FrOzeN

Quote from: quasi-modo on March 13, 2006, 09:05 AM
Not looking, but thinking.

Maybe you just passed a girl one day and was thinking about it hours later. I still find it alittle unfair for thought to be condemned as a sin.. :-\
~ FrOzeN

Warrior

I have sinned...many times today..
If it's a sin to be a guy then I don't want to not sin. :)
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

FrOzeN

Quote from: Warrior on March 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
That's kind of what happens with me. I'd be sinning pretty much 24/7, as I always think about robbing places, killing, etc.. in dreams just for the fun of playing with your imagination.
~ FrOzeN

Adron

Quote from: Topaz on March 11, 2006, 09:51 PM
If you think 2.1 billion people around the world believe in a fairytale, then you either 1) Don't give humanity enough credit, or 2) you're too full of yourself to see that you're not as intelligent as you think you are. (Source)

There is no reason the 900 million in Hinduism, 1.3 billion in Islam, for a total of 2.2 billion people would be wrong about Jesus not being a saviour. If you do not think Jesus being our saviour is a fairytale, you are definitely too full of yourself.

Warrior

Quote from: FrOzeN on March 13, 2006, 10:28 PM
That's kind of what happens with me. I'd be sinning pretty much 24/7, as I always think about robbing places, killing, etc.. in dreams just for the fun of playing with your imagination.

I was talking about girls psycho..
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

FrOzeN

Quote from: Warrior on March 13, 2006, 11:06 PM

I was talking about girls psycho..
I was exaggerating.. a bit anyway. :P
~ FrOzeN

quasi-modo

This is exactly why we need Christ, because it's pretty hard to lead a sinless life.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on March 13, 2006, 10:44 PM
Quote from: Topaz on March 11, 2006, 09:51 PM
If you think 2.1 billion people around the world believe in a fairytale, then you either 1) Don't give humanity enough credit, or 2) you're too full of yourself to see that you're not as intelligent as you think you are. (Source)

There is no reason the 900 million in Hinduism, 1.3 billion in Islam, for a total of 2.2 billion people would be wrong about Jesus not being a saviour. If you do not think Jesus being our saviour is a fairytale, you are definitely too full of yourself.
Calling Jesus a fairytale seems incredibly arrogant to me. Lets call one relgion's diety a fairytale because it has a few less followers than two other religions combined.
WAR EAGLE!

Yegg

Quote from: quasi-modo on March 14, 2006, 09:08 AM
This is exactly why we need Christ, because it's pretty hard to lead a sinless life.

You need to replace "hard" with "impossible".

P.S. It's impossible to reason with Adron on this topic. I've seen how far it'll go in past threads like this.

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on March 14, 2006, 09:14 AM
Calling Jesus a fairytale seems incredibly arrogant to me. Lets call one relgion's diety a fairytale because it has a few less followers than two other religions combined.

But of course Jesus is a fairytale. There is no one religion that has a majority of the people on earth following it. The only thing we can conclude is that most people on earth follow some kind of religion, i.e. that humans feel a desire to believe in fairy tales.

Yegg

Quote from: Adron on March 14, 2006, 05:11 PM

But of course Jesus is a fairytale. There is no one religion that has a majority of the people on earth following it. The only thing we can conclude is that most people on earth follow some kind of religion, i.e. that humans feel a desire to believe in fairy tales.

Well of course there is no one religion being followed, that would require ~4000000000 people following one religion. IIRC, Catholocism is the most widely practiced religion. But it is no where close to a worldwide majority.

I think that your saying "Jesus is a fairytale" is just your way of explaining how he "didn't exist", which can't be prooved. If you can't proove the existence of something, then you can't make up your own answer for it. So his unexistence is just your answer, others will say he did exist. Neither can scientifically proove this.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on March 14, 2006, 05:11 PM

Way to be sacrilegious adron. I would hardly compare any religion to something of the order of Cinderella. That is an incorrect term and is just being used to be condescending. Instead of being open minded, or at least a little bit understanding, you are trying to just step on toes by using that kind of terminology. However you would be quick to accuse anyone else of not being open minded. Remarkable? I suppose you are going to try to further justify your use of the terminology you selected, but really it is what it is.
WAR EAGLE!

FrOzeN

C'mon seriously. If you don't believe in Religion, the closest comparison is a fairy tale. You've got Adam/Eve eating apples with a talking snake leading them on. Some small dude David takes out Goliath, etc.. Just the stupidity in some of these stories are so hard to believe in.

My personal opinion on the word "God", is "hope". When someone has nothing to live for, they created this imaginary character of life within themselves to pull through. Over years this has built up into misleading stories and due to lack of knowledge back in those days has turned into a belief.

My favourite example, "Your talking to your friend who is leaning against a tree during a thunderstorm. Bang. Lighting strikes, hitting the tree and evidently killing your friend. Later on your speaking to someone and they come up with the idea of putting up totem polls to cherish the God(s) thinking that by doing so the God(s) won't harm them. Next lighting storm, same scenario but this time it hits the totem polls. As there lack of understanding that it strikes higher objects they just see this as a way to cherish God to keep him/her protecting them.

And so on, eventually taking it further and further out of context over the years.
I don't need a 'God', nor do I need 'Jesus'. I will continue to sin and I'll get over the sins. When I die, I'm dead. I don't wish to live forever, nor could I care about an afterlife. You only get one life and I don't see why I should waste even part of it following a Myth.
~ FrOzeN

|