• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Integral

Started by shadypalm88, March 04, 2006, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadypalm88

I've been stuck on this for some time now (sexy LaTeX rendering):

The only general techniques that I've been taught (excluding blind guessing) are substitution and integration by parts.  Somewhat similar ones like

are much easier.  With a substitution w = cos(2θ) it solves for:

But this one I seemingly can't crack.  Any advice?

Yoni

That LaTeX is hot.

Blindly integrating by parts is not the best way to solve that integral. Try using some trigonometric identities.
Start with: cos^2(z) = 1 - sin^2(z) ...
Continue with integration by parts, then think how to continue (this is a tricky one, so post again if you need more help).

rabbit

That first one is relatively simple.  You can use the S[u du] property on it, and you get S[sin3(z)cos3(z) dz] = -cos3(z) + C
Well..assuming I did it correctly that is.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

shadypalm88

Quote from: Yoni on March 05, 2006, 12:51 AM
That LaTeX is hot.

Blindly integrating by parts is not the best way to solve that integral. Try using some trigonometric identities.
Start with: cos^2(z) = 1 - sin^2(z) ...
Continue with integration by parts, then think how to continue (this is a tricky one, so post again if you need more help).
I didn't end up using parts at all.  This question comes from my calculus textbook and I have the answer to it, so I was able to check it.  What I don't understand is that I got different answers depending on whether I used the identity for cosine or the identity for sine; and only the sine one matches the answer provided.

Let w = sin(z)
dw = cos(z) dz

(sorry, seems to be no way to control the image's export size)
Which doesn't seem to be equivavent to the expression that the salopes want:

Let w = cos(z)
dw = -sin(z) dz

Thoughts?

Yoni

Quote from: rabbit on March 05, 2006, 09:01 AM
That first one is relatively simple. You can use the S[u du] property on it, and you get S[sin3(z)cos3(z) dz] = -cos3(z) + C
Well..assuming I did it correctly that is.
Nope! You didn't. Try again! (Hint: d/dz sin3(z) != cos3(z) ...)

shadypalm: Good job, it's easier than the way I thought of doing it.

Both your solutions are correct. Don't forget the "+ C" at the end.
The 2 functions you got are not equivalent with the same C - but they are equivalent with different C's. (i.e., their difference is a constant function.)

shadypalm88

Quote from: Yoni on March 05, 2006, 02:42 PM
Both your solutions are correct. Don't forget the "+ C" at the end.
The 2 functions you got are not equivalent with the same C - but they are equivalent with different C's. (i.e., their difference is a constant function.)
Oh!  I didn't think of that, but yeah, that makes sense.  Cool, thanks for the help.
(PS- I have the + C on paper but forgot to transcribe it into LaTeX.)

Yoni

Actually you didn't, I see it in your images.

rabbit

Bleh!  I suck at integrals -.-
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.