• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Need some help if you could?

Started by Final, February 11, 2006, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yegg

Quote from: FrOzeN on February 13, 2006, 04:13 AM
Final, I removed the link from your post. I don't think you realised that as you hardcoded your password in, when users login they'll notice that there on a different name and knowing the abilities of the members on these forums they could retrieve it with a simple packet log.

Seeing as your password is generic I just used it to logon to your account to remove the link, I suggest adding two textbox's to the Telnet Chat Bot for users to input there own username/password to connect with.

I'm sure he knew he hardcoded the password in. That's what I would do if I were testing something as simple as a telnet connection. Why bother writing a few extra lines to read a file for an account and password when you can just temporarily hardcode it in?

MyndFyre

Especially if it's something useful like your forum or e-mail account password!
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yegg

Quote from: MyndFyre on February 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

Who are you directing that statement toward? I'm guessing me. If so, I'm not really sure what you are trying to get across to me. Maybe he didn't think about the fact that his password was going to be shown when he uploaded the file, but it isn't a bad idea to keep the password hardcoded if you're the only one with the file, and it's only for temporary usage.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Yegg on February 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre on February 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

Who are you directing that statement toward? I'm guessing me. If so, I'm not really sure what you are trying to get across to me. Maybe he didn't think about the fact that his password was going to be shown when he uploaded the file, but it isn't a bad idea to keep the password hardcoded if you're the only one with the file, and it's only for temporary usage.

The quote to which I made reference seemed to indicate that it wasn't a problem that he left his password hardcoded.  I merely pointed out (with some sarcastic undertones) that taking this attitude is moronic.  That is all.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

FrOzeN

Quote from: Yegg on February 13, 2006, 09:29 AM
Quote from: FrOzeN on February 13, 2006, 04:13 AM
Final, I removed the link from your post. I don't think you realised that as you hardcoded your password in, when users login they'll notice that there on a different name and knowing the abilities of the members on these forums they could retrieve it with a simple packet log.

Seeing as your password is generic I just used it to logon to your account to remove the link, I suggest adding two textbox's to the Telnet Chat Bot for users to input there own username/password to connect with.

I'm sure he knew he hardcoded the password in. That's what I would do if I were testing something as simple as a telnet connection. Why bother writing a few extra lines to read a file for an account and password when you can just temporarily hardcode it in?
I ment along the lines that he forgot the .exe had his password hardcoded it in before he posted the download link. He obviously would of known he hardcoded it when he wrote the bot.

I just removed the link to prevent others gaining access to his password, which could lead to further misuse.
~ FrOzeN