• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Intellectual Property

Started by PaiD, January 31, 2006, 12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaiD

on the 15th of Jan, I sold this one program to a client of mine (freelance) and he paid over pp with a cc. He later did a chargeback and I have now been tring to fight with PP over $147. I responded to the chargeback and claimed "Intellectual Property" as my work is copyrighted and it is now the 31st and still no response with PP. In the event that PP doesnt pay me. What would my opitions be?

topaz

RLY...?

Arta

For $147, not a lot. You could get an IP attorney to write a letter to them and that might help, but it'd probably cost you more than you'd get back.

quasi-modo

if it's under 200 you can't even take the guy to small claims court in most states.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

DarkMinion

I doubt you have a copyright.

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on January 31, 2006, 09:47 AM
if it's under 200 you can't even take the guy to small claims court in most states.

Source? I've never heard of such a thing. However, there is a maximum amount you may sue for in small claims court.

Quote from: DarkMinion on January 31, 2006, 09:50 AM
I doubt you have a copyright.

Any reasoning behind that?

DarkMinion

Common sense...most people that program don't go out and seek patents/copyrights for the stuff they create, but still claim their creation is "copyrighted."

Arta

jigsaw

I'd kill a man for $147.00 - You got his name and address.  Go to publicrecords.com  find out where he lives and threaten his life.

MyndFyre

Quote from: DarkMinion on January 31, 2006, 10:06 AM
Common sense...most people that program don't go out and seek patents/copyrights for the stuff they create, but still claim their creation is "copyrighted."

That's incorrect.  By virtue of writing something you own a copyright to it under US law.  To get a court to enforce it, you have to register the copyright.  Copyright registration can come ex post facto (it can be don after the infringement was made) and still hold up in court, too, because you own the copyright as soon as you make whatever it is you made.

This is distinct from patents which are not in effect until a third party approves them (in the US, the US Patent Office).
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on January 31, 2006, 09:59 AM
Quote from: quasi-modo on January 31, 2006, 09:47 AM

Source? I've never heard of such a thing. However, there is a maximum amount you may sue for in small claims court.

No, I didn't look this up before I posted it, but I don't feel like looking this up when I've run into it before. Don't demand sources for things like this.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Arta

"Don't make me cite my sources when I can't be bothered!"

lol

quasi-modo

exactly, i have better things to do then site sources for trivial things. Now if this were one of our big political or religious debates that is another thing entirely.
WAR EAGLE!

MyndFyre

Quote from: quasi-modo on January 31, 2006, 03:15 PM
exactly, i have better things to do then site sources for trivial things. Now if this were one of our big political or religious debates that is another thing entirely.

God doesn't want you to own a copyright.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

quasi-modo

Quote from: MyndFyre on January 31, 2006, 03:19 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on January 31, 2006, 03:15 PM

God doesn't want you to own a copyright.
Huh? I was talking about my small claim's statement :x

In other news: You guys all suck... currently in my county you can bring something for under 200 to court... but the filing fee is 80 bucks. So youd have to sue the guy for about 300 (assuming you pay the optional 20 dollar online filing conveiniance charge).

But I sware that was not the case when I was thinking of sueing someone for screwing for the cost to paint the top of the back bumper of my car!
WAR EAGLE!