• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Visual Basic Program Protection

Started by MysT_DooM, January 05, 2006, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Networks

Quote from: rabbit on January 12, 2006, 09:55 PM
I used to do that, but Newby kept screaming at me like "I'LL JUST UNPACK IT!!"  That combined with me not caring that much, I stopped packing.  It was just an extra step in my release process.  Although, for some of my larger programs (the beastly 2meg FoFoBot), doing a upx brought that down to a nice 800kb.

Or use a commercial packer that isn't as popular? Find a packer that doesn't also have an immediate unpacker. In other words do some research on your packer at least. There are numerous code obfuscation techniques that you can use beside a packer though.

rabbit

Another solution is to just go open source :)
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

TheMinistered

Or... you could... go out on a wiiiide branch... and write your own packer? ;p like omg! why didn't I think of that?  That way... they need knowledge of asm and how packers work...

Newby

Quote from: Blaze on January 12, 2006, 06:35 PM
Quote from: Newby on January 07, 2006, 02:42 PM
If you used a hash-based authentication (translate the password into a hash and compare it with the hash so all they see is the hash value when they disassemble it) I bet they'll give up.
Quote from: MyndFyre on January 05, 2006, 05:07 PM
One byte in a hex editor.

Eww, I forgot about that. Wow. :O
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

MysT_DooM

I've decided to implement the hardware based auth, seems like the best one.

vb6, something about that combination of numbers and letters is sexy

rabbit

Tazo

Quote from: rabbit on January 22, 2006, 08:26 AM
Then why don't you tell him how to do it instead of making useless posts like that? You obviously know, tell.

Networks

God just use that auth and find some commercial packer like SoftComp and I am sure you'll be fine.

rabbit

Quote from: Tazo on January 22, 2006, 08:28 AM
Quote from: rabbit on January 22, 2006, 08:26 AM
Then why don't you tell him how to do it instead of making useless posts like that? You obviously know, tell.
It's been said before: pack it.  Just about every check that can be done from VB is pretty much "IF x Then Y", where all you have to do is change je to jne.  It's pretty blatant if you've read the entire thread.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

rabbit

Joe, that wasn't protected at all.

|