> 300ms
0 (0%)
> 700ms
0 (0%)
> 1000ms
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Joe[x86]

I'm thinking about getting satillite DSL, and I'm wondering if games over the internet (CS, half-life, perhaps WoW) will still (what do I mean still, their not right now) be playable.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Falcon[anti-yL]

From what I've read Satellite broadband is a bad choice if you have other options in your area, mainly because the quality of your connection will depend on the weather at the time. From some of the reviews I've read, you lose sync alot and online gaming is... well non existant.

Joe[x86]

Weather isn't really an issue. Neither is snow. If it wants to try to keep me from gaming, climbing up on my roof will to clear off dish will be done in 3.14 seconds.

Warrior said he gets like, 40ms pings on CS with his setup, Cuphead said he got 1000ms, and I heard from someone else that they get 8 seconds.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

QwertyMonster

Oops i put > 100ms. Sorry i meant to put =< 100ms.

hismajesty

It'd be the same as Satellite TV. A storm means no service.

MyndFyre

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
We have some of the coolest electrical and rainstorms in Arizona, and I've never seen a problem with satellite TV.  DirecTV specifically.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Newby

You should specify "what is your ping" by specifying they ping a specific server. Asking "what is your ping" is extremely broad.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

rabbit

Satellite DSL makes no sense.....

Anyway, all of my friends who have satellite can't play CS with <2000 ping.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

MrRaza

Try wireless internet that uses microwaves, I think execulink has some sort of package, http://my.execulink.com/personalInternet/wireless/wireless.shtml. Seems like you can get decent speeds. How it works is, there is a receiver(M900S™ 900 MHz Broadband Access System) on your roof then cabling comes from that then simply hooks up to your desktop or laptop. Some more information regarding speeds ishere. Although it's not perfect, it might just be better than satillite.

rabbit

Satellite is inherently slow upstream, and fast downstream, which is bad for gaming no matter what.  "DSL", Direct Subscriber Loop, is defined by hi-speed over the normal copper cables.  How can you have copper cables from a satellite?
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

hismajesty

Quote from: MyndFyre on December 12, 2005, 04:41 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
We have some of the coolest electrical and rainstorms in Arizona, and I've never seen a problem with satellite TV. DirecTV specifically.

Woah really? Whenever I go to my grandparents house in Florida, especially in the summer (when they get these really bad storms every afternoon), we would lose DirecTV service for like an hour.

MrRaza

Quote from: rabbit on December 13, 2005, 04:04 PM
Satellite is inherently slow upstream, and fast downstream, which is bad for gaming no matter what.  "DSL", Direct Subscriber Loop, is defined by hi-speed over the normal copper cables.  How can you have copper cables from a satellite?

You don't. Think about it.

rabbit

That's what I'm saying.  In simpler terms: Joe, your topic name makes no sense.

iago

Quote from: rabbit on December 13, 2005, 04:04 PM

DSL = Digital Subscriber Line

And you are correct, it is defined as:
<communications, protocol> A family of digital telecommunications
protocols designed to allow high speed data communication
over the existing copper telephone lines between end-users
and telephone companies.

But it wouldn't be the first time an ISP uses words like DSL incorrectly, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if there really was a satellite version of DSL. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MrRaza

I don't like the fact that they sell internet with capped speeds and then try and sell Extreme versions with no capping at all. I think AOL does this. It just makes me mad, but I can understand at the same time why they do it.