• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

[VB+Java] Final Project

Started by Joe[x86], December 03, 2005, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

Clicky

This is for a Visual Basic class (namely Computer Programming 1), where we're expected to have absolutely no knoledge of Java whatsoever, and rather limited VB skills (none at entry). Of course, I'm not normal, so eh? I wrote a chat server in Java, and a chat client in VB. Its a simple protocol, send your username with a space after it, then your message with a CRLF after it. All the server does is relay, theres absolutely no parsing involved.

I've still got four weeks to correct/add/whatever anything, so what do you have to say about it?
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yoni

If this is high school, you're gonna fail

Mangix

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Mangix on December 03, 2005, 02:57 PM
he's in 9th grade IIRC :P
Omfg, stop stalking me. Yes, I'm a freshman in high school.

MyndFyre, because theres both a server and a client, each with binarys and source files encluded (or did I have a compiled client? I don't know).

Yoni, what do you suggest I change to make it non-failing? I've talked to Warrior and he suggests I use a binary protocol of some sorts.

Yoni

Quote from: Joe on December 03, 2005, 04:34 PM
Yoni, what do you suggest I change to make it non-failing? I've talked to Warrior and he suggests I use a binary protocol of some sorts.
No dude. I mean, if you're only in high school, chances are your teachers are too dumb to accept projects of this type. Make a calculator like everybody else. Jeez.

Joe[x86]

Nah, my teacher is pretty smart. I've shown her tons of Java stuff that I've done and she was pretty impressed, and she teaches Computer Programming 2, and AP Comp Prog 3-4, all of which are Java. I'm sure my client alone (which is like 30 lines of code) will blow away the rest of the projects.

EDIT -
Rewrote mass portions of the server to be more efficient overall:
-- Now using an InputStream instead of a BufferedReader
-- No longer using a timer in each individual client class. That cuts it down by 255 timers, so I'm happy. =)

FrOzeN

Through in a 'On Error Resume Next' in your Form_Resize() sub so it doesn't crash when resized to small. :P
~ FrOzeN

Joe[x86]

Nice catch. How could I forget that?

I've switched to a binary protocol now, although its not much. I've got a mediocre userlist thing going on, but its printed to the screen. I'm going to move it to a listview! =)

rabbit

Quote from: FrOzeN on December 03, 2005, 06:50 PM
Through in a 'On Error Resume Next' in your Form_Resize() sub so it doesn't crash when resized to small. :P
That is possibly the worst idea ever.  Why not fix the problem instead of ignoring it?
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Warrior

How do you fix it? I believe I just subclassed the mainform and didn't allow it to resize smaller than x and y. Even then it's a hassle because of debugging things in the future.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

FrOzeN

Quote from: rabbit on December 03, 2005, 07:34 PM
That is possibly the worst idea ever.  Why not fix the problem instead of ignoring it?
Not worth it really for such a simply school project. Though I guess he could through in some simply If statements instead..
~ FrOzeN

Joe[x86]

That is possibly the worst idea ever. Why not fix the problem instead of ignoring it?

Because the problem is caused by the user. Should I goto a error handler at the bottom, then

Call MsgBox("I've detected an error. You squeezed me. Fixing error..")
Call PunchInFace(App.User)

Stealth

Quote from: Joe on December 03, 2005, 08:29 PM
That is possibly the worst idea ever. Why not fix the problem instead of ignoring it?

Because the problem is caused by the user. Should I goto a error handler at the bottom, then

Call MsgBox("I've detected an error. You squeezed me. Fixing error..")
Call PunchInFace(App.User)

Most all problems are caused by the user. Since punching them is impossible, you should just anticipate problems created by the user like this one and code such that they never become problems.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Joe[x86]

Seeing as how a perfect-looking GUI is not vital to the operation of this program, I'm going to have to go with ignoring it completely.