• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Forum Suggestion: Programmers Forum

Started by Joe[x86], November 30, 2005, 09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

Where we can discuss things in private with other programmers, that are unsafe for other users to view.

This may seem corny, but see this topic.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

I doubt that this will happen, as it would require the administrators to manage membergroups.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Newby

Quote from: Joe on November 30, 2005, 09:12 PM
Where we can discuss things in private with other programmers, that are unsafe for other users to view.

This may seem corny, but see this topic.

Make a forum, and invite other users to post on it, and never give out the link.

That's the only way your idea will be completely satisfied.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Kp

Quote from: MyndFyre on November 30, 2005, 10:20 PM
I doubt that this will happen, as it would require the administrators to manage membergroups.

Further, who decides who will and will not be permitted entrance?  What if someone who's technically qualified gets added, only to have it later discovered he publicly reposts everything discussed on the private forum?  It's very difficult to keep information from spreading once it is known by more than a select few, especially when you can't impose any consequences upon the one(s) releasing it.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Joe[x86]

The vL members will give you a test on some basic programming skills. For example..

const char * testChar = "abcd";
&testchar++;

What is the value of testChar?

If someone knows that, and a few other questions similar to it, they are permitted enterance.

If someone starts reposting stuff, then we just remove their rights.

Newby

Quote from: Joe on December 01, 2005, 07:01 AM
The vL members will give you a test on some basic programming skills. For example..

&testchar++;

If someone knows that, and a few other questions similar to it, they are permitted enterance.

So, in other words, if anybody pays attention for a few weeks in basic comp sci, they'll get in?
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Mephisto

&testchar++;

If someone starts reposting stuff, then we just remove their rights.

He's not talking about whether someone is qualified or not, it's whether they're trustworthy enough, which would be hard to determine.

MyndFyre

&testchar++;

Off the cuff I'm pretty sure that'd raise a compile-time error.  testChar is supposed to be const.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre on December 01, 2005, 09:45 AM
&testchar++;

Off the cuff I'm pretty sure that'd raise a compile-time error.  testChar is supposed to be const.

It's also a compiletime error because you're incrementing the address of a variable, which is illegal to do.  He also didn't capitalize the c in testChar when he tried to illegally increment it.

3 distinct errors on 2 lines of code.. you are truly a master. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

BaDDBLooD

Phew,  i kept thinking that didn't look right
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Networks

lol....Joe you wouldn't make it into the forum you suggested! And I know I wouldn't go through that much trouble if I were hosting it, to test people that is.

Joe[x86]

Pfft, you just asumed it was C++. Way to think outside the box! Its really pseudocode, and the answer is "bcd".

<3 you all.

Networks

Quote from: Joe on December 02, 2005, 05:26 PM
Pfft, you just asumed it was C++. Way to think outside the box! Its really pseudocode, and the answer is "bcd".

<3 you all.

Apparently Joe likes to make up his own programming languages...-.-