• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Should children be allowed to vote?

Started by CrAz3D, November 15, 2005, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Explicit

Replace "physically" with "mentally."  As stated in a previous post, if the "child" in question has the mental capacity to make such decisions, then of course, they should be allowed to vote.  In doing so, they'd have a voice, and rather than having to accept the way things are in, say school, they can change it accordingly.  This is under the assumption that they have the mental capacity for it.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

WoOdTroll

If a child did have the mental capacity to do so, he'd grow up a genius. But thats not the case, most people want adults to vote because they're considered mature. Some kid probably hates how bush looks like an ape so much that he'd vote no. Not about what he does or has done. Personally though most people catagorize others without thinking, and base their decisions on that.

Explicit

Quote from: WoOdTroll on November 15, 2005, 11:04 PM
If a child did have the mental capacity to do so, he'd grow up a genius. But thats not the case, most people want adults to vote because they're considered mature. Some kid probably hates how bush looks like an ape so much that he'd vote no. Not about what he does or has done. Personally though most people catagorize others without thinking, and base their decisions on that.

A child having the mental capacity to make such decisions does not automatically make them a genius.  It just signifies that they are aware of the matters in the world, and in that manner, the awareness can be directed toward making coherent votes.

WoOdTroll

Explicit

Omit that portion of my post then.  The argument still remains.

WoOdTroll

Still though. Which kid would refuse to go outside, and play with his friends or watch cartoons to learn how the world works. What could possibly interest him/her to learn about what is happening in the world today. I am pretty sure they hate social studies enough to not care about it. Unless you were a political figure in society, perhaps then your child would find interest in what you do, and what is going on in the world.

Forged

I think making a goverment class or two mandatory before a child is allowed to vote would make it ok.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Explicit

Quote from: WoOdTroll on November 15, 2005, 11:34 PM
Still though. Which kid would refuse to go outside, and play with his friends or watch cartoons to learn how the world works. What could possibly interest him/her to learn about what is happening in the world today. I am pretty sure they hate social studies enough to not care about it. Unless you were a political figure in society, perhaps then your child would find interest in what you do, and what is going on in the world.

"Which kid," you ask?  The type of "kid" who has matured and wants to become involved.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they have to give up their right to play outside, play with their friends, or watch cartoons.

WoOdTroll

By "kid" I meant "Child" and by "child" I meant the ones who want to be Dragon Ball Z characters. Kids who still play GI Joes. They care more about whats on tv, then the news. Its boring to them.

Explicit

Okay, rather than thinking in those terms, think of "child" in terms of young adolescent, meaning age 16 and up.

WoOdTroll

Then why not say "teen-ager" instead of having people thinking of younger "children". I think 16 year olds have the ability to understand whats going on. And if they understand what they're votin' for sure, let them... We know they're the voice of tommorrow. But then again you need to realize in this state teen-agers are still naive. And some would vote for the sake of voting, which is wrong. Thus requires adultness.

Explicit

Quote from: WoOdTroll on November 16, 2005, 12:10 AM
Then why not say "teen-ager" instead of having people thinking of younger "children".

Don't ask me that, ask the creator of the topic.  As for the rest of your post, that's why they have to show a deep level of understanding, hence, the attending of a mandatory government class, as Forged proposed.

WoOdTroll

Well the first few posts on this topic was directed "12 year olds","children" age keeps moving up.

And a mandatory government class would be awesome. This is what should be done anyways, adults aswell.

Explicit

Forged was using the age of 12 as an example, but I can understand how the use of "children" would confuse you.

WoOdTroll

I wasn't confused at all. I don't think people call teen-agers children. I think you're the one whos confused

|