• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Joe[x86], November 15, 2005, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

Yeah, my dad installed a windows critical update yesterday, and my network card totally crapped out. Other computers can connect to this box, but no data can be sent/received.

The problem: This is my brother's computer. We have a 56k line, so this one is always connected and I connect through it. Well, I don't connect through it anymore.

So yeah, anyone know which critical update (fairly recent, he has automatic updates on, idiot) would have done this, and how to reverse it?
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

WoOdTroll

Haven't updated my computer since I heard the updates had a virus(w/e the it is).

Stealth

Quote from: Joe on November 15, 2005, 06:59 AM
Yeah, my dad installed a windows critical update yesterday, and my network card totally crapped out. Other computers can connect to this box, but no data can be sent/received.

The problem: This is my brother's computer. We have a 56k line, so this one is always connected and I connect through it. Well, I don't connect through it anymore.

So yeah, anyone know which critical update (fairly recent, he has automatic updates on, idiot) would have done this, and how to reverse it?

Try reinstalling the drivers for the network card.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Grok

If other computers can connect to it but not exchange other data, your network card is fine.  The updates probably improved the security of his OS by turning on the firewall, turning off file sharing, or reducing permissions for nonprivileged users.  I'd start by looking at the firewall settings of the machine.  Make sure the services are mapped that you intend to share to other PCs, for example FTP.  You might also turn on auditing and look at the event logs to see what's up.

Joe[x86]

Firewall, off.
ICS, on. (Thats all thats needed, no forwarding)

I'll try just killing the security updates (install/uninstall software), because they don't secure jack anyhow.

Meh

Im still astouned you only have 56k line.

iago

Quote from: Joe on November 15, 2005, 03:56 PM
I'll try just killing the security updates (install/uninstall software), because they don't secure jack anyhow.
That is a blatently false statement. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

cefx-

iago is my hero.

Don't mean to jack or derail this thead, I just wanted to share my love for him with everyone.
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

Hitmen

Quote from: iago on November 15, 2005, 04:21 PM
Not really. If it can't connect to the internet then the updates really aren't securign anything :P

Newby

Quote from: Hitmen on November 15, 2005, 05:10 PM
Not really. If it can't connect to the internet then the updates really aren't securign anything :P

Sure they are. You can't get infected from the internet, can you?
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Joe[x86]

Newby, anyone stupid enough to get infected JUST by connecting to the internet (yes, not having a firewall constitutes stupidity) is stupid enough to get a virus from a spiked cerial-box CD too. =p

I apologize. As you said, they do secure the people who don't have a clue what their doing in the first place. Common sence is the best defence, as you also said (I think?), which, despite what my latest posts may show (LOL game, 99 bottles of beer on the wall, etc) may show, I have.

Quote from: Meh on November 15, 2005, 04:17 PM
Im still astouned you only have 56k line.
I'm still astounded that the broadband companies don't want conficted felons people in rural areas using their service. =(

Quote from: cefx- on November 15, 2005, 04:31 PM
iago is my hero.

Don't mean to jack or derail this thead, I just wanted to share my love for him with everyone.
He's my hero too. <3 yago.

iago

Quote from: Joe on November 15, 2005, 07:50 PM
I apologize. As you said, they do secure the people who don't have a clue what their doing in the first place. Common sence is the best defence, as you also said (I think?), which, despite what my latest posts may show (LOL game, 99 bottles of beer on the wall, etc) may show, I have.

Last time I checked, plugging a computer into a network/the Internet isn't a dumb thing to do, even without a firewall.  Although plugging Windows into the Internet can probably be considered dumb in the first place, that's besides the point.

And by the way, BSD makes a better router than Windows ever could.  And can be installed on a much worse computer :-P

AND hmm, that gives me an idea of how to build a bot-net.  Install your bot software in the autorun of a cd, and sneak it into cereal boxes at the grocery store.  Or better yet, go to the local computer store and put it in each drive, where it auto-runs/installs/infects, heh. :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Joe[x86]

Eh, I meant in Windows.

The only reason I don't use this machine (JoeMomma, I'm dialed directly now) is because I don't want Windows, yet my modem requires it (WinModem). Any one of you is welcome to send me a hardware modem.

PS: Christmas is aproaching, and I need a hardware modem.

PPS: I need a hardware modem.

PPPS: Alright, I'm pushing this a little bit far. =p

Networks

Does system restore work? I believe it's great for reversing update stuff...

Grok

If it's your brother's computer that has the WinModem then why do you care that he runs Windows?

Security patches are not always one kind of patch.  Most are in the security category because they fix a vulnerability, which if exploited, can allow unauthorized use of your computer.  Do not remove them.