• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Sharing a printer

Started by CrAz3D, November 01, 2005, 09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Ok, I have this thing installed correctly, I think (it works & all).  When I click Share Printer it says it is sharing, but I cant find it on my laptop. 

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

CrAz3D

I've been searchin, it isnt showing up.  A friend said something about making sure everything is in th esame workgroup (I dont see ANY work groups popping up when searching for my printer either).

I'll mess some more when I get home, with regards to the workgroup thing
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

muert0

Is there a possibility that a firewall could be blocking it?
To lazy for slackware.

CrAz3D

Quote from: muert0 on November 01, 2005, 05:17 PM
Is there a possibility that a firewall could be blocking it?
I highly doubt that.  Windows firewall is on the desktop & Norton Internet Security is on the laptop
(ré-bun-dance)

effect

(1) Desktop | Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer > Local Printer

(2) Laptop | Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer > Network Printer

Doesnt work after that either kill your self or disable the firewall and try like somebody else suggested.

EDIT: The above  assumes that u have successfully set up your own LAN and the 2 machines can communicate via tcp/ip with each other.
Quote from: Mangix on March 22, 2005, 03:03 AM
i am an expert Stealthbot VBScript. Recognize Bitch.

CrAz3D

how would I check to ensure that TCP/IP settings are enabled & set correctly?  is there an easy way to test this?
(ré-bun-dance)

MrRaza

Well, open a command prompt, use the net view command. you should be able to see other computers that are in your workgroup. To change your workgroup right click My Computer -> Properties -> Computer name Tab -> Click Change... then name the workgroup you wish to be in. There might be more to this, tomorrow i'll go into greater detail since it is past 1:30am.

need help?

NET /?
NET VIEW /?

Charlie

Just to push on to what MrRaza said.
Right click My computer, Properties, Computer Name, then thers a change button in the middle of the page. Click Change Should pop up with your computer name and the Workgroup, Make sure to read this part though.
You can change and the membership of this computer."Changes may affect access to network resources.

Then you hit ok.
After you change it a window should pop that says "Welcome to the "workgroup" workgroup.

--Charlie.

CrAz3D

Quote1: enable TCPIP, Netbios, and IPXSPX in the network properties setup thingy. (right click my network places-got to properties, right click local area connection "whatever"- properties, install-protocall, select what you want) Make sure this is done on all relevant machines on the network that you want to communicate.

2. make sure your printer/folder is shared on whatever machine you are trying to reach. It might not show up if there is nothing shared. One thing F'd up since win2k. right click device/folder-share.

3. make sure all computers have the same workgroup name. right click My Computer-properties, network identification, Properties. Change the workgroup to be the same everywhere and make sure the machines are named differently.

4. make sure you have the drivers available and installed on the machine you are trying to remotely connect to the printer. This may or may not require the printer to be hooked up to the machine first before you remotely connect through another machine (if that makes sense). Sometimes on a rare occasion windows will already have the drivers you need. The printer should show up on the network even without drivers installed on the remote machine.

5. once you can see the printer right click on it and hit "connect". That "should" do it.

Hope that helps. It "should" work with all that done.

I think that may help me, assuming I can get my print reinstalled :(
(ré-bun-dance)

muert0

You might want to update the drivers from the manufacturers website aswell.
To lazy for slackware.

CrAz3D

Hmm, I'm encountering a problem with a "required section of usbprint.inf" missing :(

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00270078#solution_3

Let's see if this works
(ré-bun-dance)

CrAz3D

Ok, still receiving an error saying that there is a required section missing from usbprint.inf, any ideas?
(ré-bun-dance)

Charlie

Try searching it into google and downloading it before hand. ;\ Thats what I did for one of my games, it said it was missing required "..." so I searched it on google.

If that dosn't work maybe call the manufactor of your printer, sometimes they have a tip line or somthing or a faq, alot more people have probably had the same problem as you.

CrAz3D

The link I posted is how to fix the problem, only it doenst fix the problem.  I may just reformat our desktop...too bad I don't have an XP disc so I could TOTALLY clean the ENTIRE computer of every umbass program it came with.

Oh well
(ré-bun-dance)