• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

[Poll] Intelligent Design -- Yes/No (Explain)

Started by Mephisto, October 25, 2005, 09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intelligent Design  -- Yes/No (Explain)

Yes
9 (40.9%)
No
12 (54.5%)
"Sitting the Fence"
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Mephisto

Do you think intelligent design theory should be taught in public schools as a theory?

Personally, I don't think it should be.  Not necessarily for the obvious religious references, but generally for the fact that it does not belong in the science class where supporters insist it should be.  The concept of Intelligent Design is an idea, and I support it being further investigated and evidence being found to support it.  However, at the current stage all it is, is an idea, an idea with no support and therefore it cannot be considered a theory by scientific definition.  Unfortunately for most supporters of intelligent design, they do not understand this, and furthermore do not understand that science doesn't answer questions of why life began, etc.  Science explains through hypothesis and experimentation how things work and explaining natural phenomena.  Intelligent Design, if somehow were able to elude its obvious Christian link (or be constitutional acceptable in public schools/sanctions) it would be OK, IMO, to have it discussed, BUT NOT in a science class as it currently does not belong in the science class.

shout

Intellegent design has to go back to a supernatural designer (more or less in the words of someone else on the forum).

UserLoser.

Yes, it should be taught because I have no clue w-t-f it is so why not learn about it

dxoigmn

I voted yes only because I believe Flying Spaghetti Monsterism should be taught in school along side evolution for obvious reasons.

CrAz3D

I believe in Intelligent Design & evolution.  Science, too, is only an idea that isn't possible to prove, everything is just a theory.  You can get into hardcore philosphy & argue that nothing is real...but to me that seems sort pointless.

I figure it that DUDE* planned & organized everything & then just set it all into place.  Evolution was apart of DUDE's plan

* refers to some sort of higher being
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Topaz

Intelligent Design and Evolution are, realistically, competing theories. It would be educational as well as competent to teach both - teaching only one side of the story is terrible.

Invert

My theory: We have been intelligently designed through evolution.

hismajesty

I think so. My science teacher and I had an argument about this, not ID specifically, I argued "Creationism and other theories" should be tought in school alongside Evolution. I said that students form opinions off of what their teachers say (she said no, off their parents) but I still contested that if you are exposed to multiple theories instead of one then you'll be able to form your own opinions on the subject. She argued that teachers wouldn't be qualified to teach things like Creationism.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Invert on October 26, 2005, 03:14 AM
My theory: We have been intelligently designed through evolution.
To be clear, you think there was a creator that has created us but evolution was apart of that?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Mephisto

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theory

I still don't see how Intelligent Design matches the definition of a scientific theory.  And beyond just strict speaking of definition, Intelligent Design has no evidence to support it, it's simply an idea, nothing more.  Do you have evidence for it?  There's a ton of evidence for evolution; much of it irrefutable except by those who stubbornly oppose it.

I don't necessarily oppose the idea, and I'm sure most people don't, but it simply does not belong in the science class because all there is to teach and talk about is single-point-of-view-philisophical-rhetoric-from-the-Bible.

Stealth

Intelligent Design, to me, is silly. Evidence of evolution prevails everywhere you look scientifically.

I love the Flying Spaghetti Monsterism analogy. :D
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Imperceptus

I support in favor of intelligent design, Darwin may have thought of Evolution, but he did not believe in it. There should be a broad range of studies, not just Evolution or Intellegent design.  Saying that schools only teach Evolution is kinda like windows forcing people to use internet explorer.

To quote on stealth, there is alot more support Intelligent design, if you look into, I can through you a few links if you want.

Example
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/10/25/clay.life.reut/index.html
Quote from: Hazard on August 07, 2003, 03:15 PM
Highlight your entire code. Press the delete key. Start over again using Cuphead's CSB tutorial and work your way from their rather than raping code from downloaded sources meant purely for learning purposes. If this does not fix the problem, uninstall Visual Basic and get a new hobby. I suggest Cricket.

Adron

I think not. Schools should teach evolutionarism, the theory of the flying spaghetti monster, the theory of asgard and the world tree and these other theories. Church can handle teaching Intelligent Design, no need to do that in school.

hismajesty

If you're going to teach one you shouldn't go without teaching the other, it gives kids a 1-sided view.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on October 26, 2005, 05:27 PM
If you're going to teach one you shouldn't go without teaching the other, it gives kids a 1-sided view.

That does make sense. You should teach things that they need to be teached though. That's why they should be taught Evolutionarism and the Theory of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. That way they will have two different views on the world. And additionally teach them about the world tree, maybe about the giant turtle on whose back the world travels through space, and a couple more different theories.