• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What is a good Linux distro???

Started by Sorc.Polgara, September 25, 2005, 01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorc.Polgara

I'm looking to use a Linux OS and I'd like some recommendations on what are good FREE Linux distros.

iago

This can be argued till you're blue in the face.  But the big question is: what are you looking for? Ease? Education? Speed? Security? Fun?

My first recommendation is Slackware, because that's the one I use 100% of the time.  Alternatively, Gentoo also seems quite good. 

If you just want to play with things, grab Knoppix.  Then you don't have to install it to your harddrive. 

If you want to do security/hacking stuff, grab Auditor.  Again, it's bootable. 

This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Yegg

Sorc.Polgara, make sure your hard drive is compatible with the Linux distribution that you decide to use. My computer can't seem to run any version, versions that did log in to the desktop had display errors constantly. Anyways, I would suggest using Mandrake Linux or Ubuntu if you are looking for ease. Also, according to nslay, FreeBSD is a very good OS to use. FreeBSD isn't Linux, but I figured I'd suggest it anyways.

iago

Quote from: Yegg on September 26, 2005, 02:57 PM
Sorc.Polgara, make sure your hard drive is compatible with the Linux distribution that you decide to use. My computer can't seem to run any version, versions that did log in to the desktop had display errors constantly. Anyways, I would suggest using Mandrake Linux or Ubuntu if you are looking for ease. Also, according to nslay, FreeBSD is a very good OS to use. FreeBSD isn't Linux, but I figured I'd suggest it anyways.

You don't have to worry about hard drive compatibilty.  All harddrives are the same. 

You do, however, have to worry about hardware compatibility.  There's typically a way to get any hardware working, since there are tons of people out there writing drivers/code, but it might be troublesome. 

Yegg

Quote from: iago on September 26, 2005, 06:30 PM
Quote from: Yegg on September 26, 2005, 02:57 PM

You don't have to worry about hard drive compatibilty.  All harddrives are the same. 

You do, however, have to worry about hardware compatibility.  There's typically a way to get any hardware working, since there are tons of people out there writing drivers/code, but it might be troublesome. 
Hmm, I thought that the harddrive could cause some interference. I guess I was wrong.

Newby

Depends on whether or not your kernel supports the interface your harddrive is. (i.e. I had to build my kernel specially so I could get my SATA drive working)
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

iago

Quote from: Newby on September 26, 2005, 09:24 PM
Depends on whether or not your kernel supports the interface your harddrive is. (i.e. I had to build my kernel specially so I could get my SATA drive working)

Well, true.  I was thinking of SATA and SCSI, but those are rarely an issue :P

Yegg

CrAzY

Ubuntu...  Every thing just seems to "work" with it :).  BTW, linux is open source...  There is only a handful of distros that actually cost money...  Things that cost money for linux don't get the idea of it.
CrAzY

Yegg

Quote from: CrAzY on September 27, 2005, 07:38 PM
Ubuntu...  Every thing just seems to "work" with it :).  BTW, linux is open source...  There is only a handful of distros that actually cost money...  Things that cost money for linux don't get the idea of it.
LinSpire is said (and looks) to be pretty good of a Linux OS. It too costs money. $50.

Kp

Linspire is a distribution that tries to cater to people who aren't really ready to leave Windows yet.  I much prefer distributions that don't try to offer CNR constantly.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Banana fanna fo fanna

If you're just switching, I heartily suggest Xandros.