• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Problem with processor speed.

Started by MrRaza, September 06, 2005, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrRaza

I've looked around the intel website for drivers that might be needing an update and didnt find much, my procressor speed is running at 798Mhz. I am wondering why, and if anyone has some idea's on how to get it closer to 1.86Ghz.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM

Blaze

Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

MrRaza

What would i need to edit or configure?

Blaze

When your computer starts up, hit delete. (This is for most setups)

Look around the options, but don't change anything if you don't know what it does.

MrRaza

Well, I can't seem to get into the BIOS settings screen, i tried to hit delete when i reboot but i get a message saying that Windows didn't load correctly and gives me various options to load in Safe mode or Load the last known good configuration that was used last or load windows normally. I am on a labtop here, that might make a different. I know how to get into BIOS normally on my PC btw.

Blaze

Quote from: MrRaza on September 06, 2005, 11:20 PM
Well, I can't seem to get into the BIOS settings screen, i tried to hit delete when i reboot but i get a message saying that Windows didn't load correctly and gives me various options to load in Safe mode or Load the last known good configuration that was used last or load windows normally. I am on a labtop here, that might make a different. I know how to get into BIOS normally on my PC btw.
That scren is activated by F8, or a bad windows start up..

Read your screen when booting up for anything to do with setup or bios.

Hitmen

Try plugging your laptop in. Most laptops automatically underclock when not plugged in to conserve battery life.

MrRaza

Well, it is plugged in, but maybe i will take a look at Power Management Options to see if something there is underclocking it.

edit: nope.

Hitmen

It might just be throttling down the speed to keep heat down when not in use. See: Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology.

Mobile IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® M Processors support Enhanced Intel SpeedStepĀ® technology, combining high speed performance with power-saving innovation. The benefit is a better match of performance to application demand. Intelligent power distribution focuses system power where the CPU needs it and automatically regulates power usage to preserve battery life.

MrRaza

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2003/volume07issue02/art03_pentiumm/p10_speedstep.htm, so when I NEED the processor speed, it actally increases the speed at which my computer runs at, and then lowers it when system resources arent being used. Can I have the option of choosing a speed that can be set at a certain point all the time?

MyndFyre

Quote from: MrRaza on September 07, 2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2003/volume07issue02/art03_pentiumm/p10_speedstep.htm, so when I NEED the processor speed, it actally increases the speed at which my computer runs at, and then lowers it when system resources arent being used. Can I have the option of choosing a speed that can be set at a certain point all the time?
No.  This is done to prevent components from overheating.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

shout

Quote from: MrRaza on September 07, 2005, 12:06 AM
Can I have the option of choosing a speed that can be set at a certain point all the time?

Why would you want to do that?

Joe[x86]

Just a guess, but the program your using is meant for Intel Pentiums. The Mobile (M) chips are smaller, and slower. Your probably not going to get over 800MHz.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=12734.msg127446#msg127446 date=1126221678]
Just a guess, but the program your using is meant for Intel Pentiums. The Mobile (M) chips are smaller, and slower. Your probably not going to get over 800MHz.
Joe, they can't market a chip as 1.86GHz when it's only 798MHz.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

quasi-modo

I am using amd64 turion. When I am plugged in my clock is 1.6ghz, when I am not plugged in I am doing 800. On my laptop it is a power conservation thing and not a heat thing. It will upclock to 1.6 when on battery when the proc is under load, but it goes down to 8 when idle, but when plugged in it stays at 1.6 even when idle.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle