• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Sim City Katrina New Orleans

Started by UserLoser., September 04, 2005, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

True, they should have left. But New Orleans is 67.3% black, and has a lot of poverty, so not everyone could afford to leave - though, many were able and didn't.

Even if they had left though, they'd still have lost their houses/things - they can't help that, there's only so much you can fit into a car.

And yeah, as Mangix said, they had two days to evacuate. For two reasons: 1) it wasn't supposed to be so strong and 2) the eye wasn't supposed to hit there.

QwertyMonster

LOL at those links!

But yeah i do feel sorry for those people.

Newby

Mangix, did you even read my post?

I am NOT talking about the people. I am talking about their homes.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Adron

Actually, if they had 48 hours to get out, they should have been able to move a pretty good distance. And that even if they carried water and dried food for a couple of days on their backs. It is probably more a matter of thinking "It won't happen to me" even though they had been warned.

Of course, the sick and elderly should have been evacuated. Why the government did not take care of that, I do not understand. Ultimately I suppose you will have to blame the leader of the country for the insufficient government response. The ultimate power to take action in emergencies, and the ultimate skill at avoiding admitting responsibility when the wrong action or no action is taken.

hismajesty

It was the responsibility of the local government, Adron.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: Newby on September 06, 2005, 01:03 AM
Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on September 05, 2005, 09:40 PM
Yea its there fault for not taking it seriously and staying in New Orleans, but its not right to laugh at them for it...

The original post made fun of the fact that New Orleans is underwater.

It never made fun of the fact that people stayed there.

I hope your city is buried in 25 feet of water. I would love to see how you'd take to losing your house.
Except I was replying to Hdx's reply, not to the original post.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 06, 2005, 02:23 PM
It was the responsibility of the local government, Adron.

Aren't natural disasters of that magnitude a national responsibility? It seems to me like it is a bit too much for the local government to handle.

hismajesty

You can't expect the national government to be able to deploy the proper people in that amount of time (obviously, less than a day.) The local government is supposed to (and they did) have plans already set out, and they were prepared to move out because they knew it was possible it was hit (plus, with it being low area, they already had generic plans for these types of events.) The local government knew the area would flood, the levy's would break, etc. They just didn't anticipate that many people to be trapped, or that amount of damage to be done.

The national government could not have helped much more, and it was the local governments job to handle it until FEMA, Red Cross, etc. could act.

Mangix

didnt bush declare a state of emergency 48 hours before hurricane katrina hit? according to my dad, the federal goverment could not mess with the local goverment so they spent all the time arguing :P. ok it's not exactly what he said but it's pretty close.

dxoigmn

It seems like the national response to 9/11 was much faster than the response to Katrina? The president and all his goons are certainly capable of responding quickly.

hismajesty

Quote from: dxoigmn on September 06, 2005, 04:25 PM
It seems like the national response to 9/11 was much faster than the response to Katrina? The president and all his goons are certainly capable of responding quickly.

Local government agencies (NYPD, for example) handled that until Federal services could step in. Besides, that's a lot different, seeing the hurricane was hardly a terrorist attack.

Topaz

If they can afford a small apartment, they can afford to use their savings and get their asses out. This happens every 60/70 years, they should have wised up by now.

hismajesty

Quote from: daRktYpE on September 06, 2005, 05:32 PM
If they can afford a small apartment, they can afford to use their savings and get their asses out. This happens every 60/70 years, they should have wised up by now.

Savings? A small percentage of Americans save.

In fact, most americans are only 1-2 paychecks away from being homeless (meaning, they could only survive about two weeks without pay.)

Explicit

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 06, 2005, 05:51 PM
Savings? A small percentage of Americans save.

In fact, most americans are only 1-2 paychecks away from being homeless (meaning, they could only survive about two weeks without pay.)

Really? Can you provide me with a link? Because I didn't know that. :-\
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

hismajesty

No, I can't. I saw it on the news a few months ago, sorry.

|