• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Help me beef my computer up! Please?

Started by Warrior, August 28, 2005, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior

My computer currently has 256MB of ram and this motherboard, I am on a tight budget and want to gear my comp up so I can play WoW which I recently purchased.

Does anyone have any suggestions (and price ranges) of what I can replace or add?

Thanks.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

R.a.B.B.i.T

Mangix

a good grahpics card and more RAM. at least 511MB

Meh

Quote from: Mangix on August 28, 2005, 05:06 PM
Thats a new size. Is it possibel to make 511mb? ;)

Networks

Quote from: Meh on August 28, 2005, 05:19 PM
Quote from: Mangix on August 28, 2005, 05:06 PM
Thats a new size. Is it possibel to make 511mb? ;)

Sure is! In fact I have 1022MB of RAM.

Get a better video card and get more RAM and you should be okay. $300 to $400 should do it.

Topaz

Sell your 256 RAM to someone, purchase 512x2 (1024mb) RAM sticks. I suggest a 6600GT or higher video card, and that should ramp your costs to about 220$ or so. If you need help picking out the right parts, just post.

NocBrute

memory = 90$. newegg.com get the 512x2 sticks.
valuselect corsair ones.

and get a pci graphics card ( i think ) it didnt tell if it had agp in your specifications.
again newegg.com
total around 300$.
hf on wow.

Networks

Quote from: Warrior on August 28, 2005, 05:41 PM
Well I figured, I was more looking for personal suggestions and stuff.

It's hard to go specifics with a low budget, just get what ever is good and you can afford.

hismajesty

quasi-modo

Quote from: NocBrute on August 28, 2005, 08:09 PM
memory = 90$. newegg.com get the 512x2 sticks.
valuselect corsair ones.

and get a pci graphics card ( i think ) it didnt tell if it had agp in your specifications.
again newegg.com
total around 300$.
hf on wow.
you can get the performance line of geil ram with a lower cas for the same price... 512 x 2, also on newegg. I know because I just bought it for a friend's system. Geil is good stuff too.

PCI graphics? Eh... I feel that this should be pci-x with a low end x seriese or 6 seriese card, you can do that rather cheeply.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Zakath

Don't even think about trying WoW without at least a gig of RAM. It'll run with less, but I'm always amused when my friend enters a crowded area and his computer freezes for a minute and a half while WoW deals with all the paging it needs to do in order to manage everything that's going on.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

Yegg

If you're going to buy RAM, which most likely you will, use eBay instead. As long as you are sure the seller is a good seller, chances are the RAM will work great and you will save a lot of money.

Blaze

Quote from: Zakath on August 31, 2005, 06:02 PM
Don't even think about trying WoW without at least a gig of RAM. It'll run with less, but I'm always amused when my friend enters a crowded area and his computer freezes for a minute and a half while WoW deals with all the paging it needs to do in order to manage everything that's going on.
Agreed. My gig of Kingston 'hyper' ram has helped me out in that position, while my other computer, well, I don't go to Ironforge on it.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No