• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Slow "Command"

Started by BigFoot, August 22, 2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigFoot

As you know, if you hit start>run>type in command and hit "ok" it's a shortcut to Ms-Dos.  For some reason it's really slow coming up.   Title = C:/Windows/System32/command.com The headers that come up on auto are: Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
                                                                                       (C)Copyrighted Microsoft Corp 1990--2001.
                                                                                        C:\DOCUME~1\HomePc~1>           note: <-- =documents

R.a.B.B.i.T

ok?  It's damn near instant for me.  Get more RAM?

MyndFyre

I have the same thing.  You should know that Windows NT-based systems use a different command line, though: cmd.exe.

Start->Run->cmd

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\Documents and Settings\Rob>
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Invert

Quote from: MyndFyre on August 22, 2005, 02:56 AM
I have the same thing.  You should know that Windows NT-based systems use a different command line, though: cmd.exe.

Start->Run->cmd

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\Documents and Settings\Rob>

Start>Run>cmd will run cmd.exe
Start>Run>command will run command.com

Not the same program.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Invert on August 22, 2005, 07:08 AM
Not the same program.
I'm pretty sure that's what I said....  I know with certainty that's what I meant.....
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

BigFoot

Oh, so what in the BLUE dickins is command.com for? :-\

MyndFyre

Quote from: BigFoot on August 22, 2005, 11:31 AM
Oh, so what in the BLUE dickins is command.com for? :-\

Most likely for backward-compatibility with old-as-poop DOS programs that give you shell access without checking %COMSPEC%.

BigFoot

Alright, thanks.  That really cleared that up.  Really informative. :)

Invert

Quote from: MyndFyre on August 22, 2005, 10:29 AM
Quote from: Invert on August 22, 2005, 07:08 AM
Not the same program.
I'm pretty sure that's what I said....  I know with certainty that's what I meant.....

I did not mean to quote you but just reply; I was clearing things up for the OP.