• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

An Objective Comparison between FreeBSD and Windows

Started by nslay, August 10, 2005, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: Maddox on August 14, 2005, 06:58 PM
FreeBSD Disadvantage - lack of native ports for games. Don't mention WINE, because we all know it is NOT the same quality as gaming on Windows.

PC's aren't the best platform to run games on.  That's why you buy a console.  You're paying less money overall than the upgrades you have to keep up with, you're guarenteed that the games will run to the best of their ability, and you free up your computer space for music and work.  It's win - win! :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Soul Taker

Have you tried playing Starcraft 64?  Do you own War3 on a console?  Guildwars?  WoW?

nslay

If FreeBSD had optional automation for system configuration, better maintained precompiled binaries, and utilities that provided easy configuration of system components then I'd imagine FreeBSD more userfriendly.

Actually, such a BSD distribution exists...it's called PC-BSD :D
http://www.pcbsd.org/

Look at this screenshot of the installer!  Although, I don't mind building a system from ground zero so I just say stick with FreeBSD...it's installer isn't that terrible anyways!

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on August 15, 2005, 05:42 PM
Quote from: Maddox on August 14, 2005, 06:58 PM
FreeBSD Disadvantage - lack of native ports for games. Don't mention WINE, because we all know it is NOT the same quality as gaming on Windows.

PC's aren't the best platform to run games on.  That's why you buy a console.  You're paying less money overall than the upgrades you have to keep up with, you're guarenteed that the games will run to the best of their ability, and you free up your computer space for music and work.  It's win - win! :)

Perhaps, but I can't run my games at 1600x1200.  I can't even come close to 1080p without investing more money in a TV than I do in a PC.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Zakath

iago, quite frankly I'm disappointed in you. I know that you have turned into a rabid supporter of non-Windows platforms, but saying that consoles are better than PCs as a gaming platform is disingenuous and misleading. PC games and console games are completely different beasts, and I'm extremely surprised that you would imply otherwise.

That aside, the fact of the matter is that Windows is still vastly superior for PC gaming. Not enough game makers produce non-Windows binaries for it to be otherwise, as unfortunate as that is. Emulation and porting takes time and are frequently imperfect. But hey, don't let me distract you from your Linux-mongering. ;)
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

nslay

If you're still interested...
A much more intensive description of FreeBSD's capabilities is written here:
http://www.cons.org/cracauer/freebsd.html

Way better written than mine :)

iago

Quote from: Zakath on August 23, 2005, 12:01 AM

iago, quite frankly I'm disappointed in you. I know that you have turned into a rabid supporter of non-Windows platforms, but saying that consoles are better than PCs as a gaming platform is disingenuous and misleading. PC games and console games are completely different beasts, and I'm extremely surprised that you would imply otherwise.

That aside, the fact of the matter is that Windows is still vastly superior for PC gaming. Not enough game makers produce non-Windows binaries for it to be otherwise, as unfortunate as that is. Emulation and porting takes time and are frequently imperfect. But hey, don't let me distract you from your Linux-mongering. ;)

Consoles make life way easier by elminating problems like: spyware, clutter taking up ram, viruses, incompatible hardware, incompatible software, and other problems.  They aren't better (yet), but they're so much easier! :P

More and more games are being ported to Linux, though, which is really cool.  Companies are realizing that there is indeed a market there!
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

nslay

Quote from: iago on August 23, 2005, 07:07 AM

Consoles make life way easier by elminating problems like: spyware, clutter taking up ram, viruses, incompatible hardware, incompatible software, and other problems.  They aren't better (yet), but they're so much easier! :P

More and more games are being ported to Linux, though, which is really cool.  Companies are realizing that there is indeed a market there!

That or Microsoft isn't as great as it used to be.