• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Mandrake Linux

Started by shadowz, May 06, 2003, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowz

does Mandrake come with Dual-Boot, and is that option to where evertime you restart it asks which OS you would like to boot back up in, or can switch between the 2 once booted up

also, do i need to get WINE with Mandrake for windows programs?

Yoni

Dual-booting is a feature available in grub, lilo and the NT boot loader (and others I don't know of, probably). Depending on which you have installed in the MBR, it's a little different, but it should be possible regardless of what distribution of Linux you use.

WINE: Also unrelated to which distribution you use. I don't know whether Mandrake comes with WINE. If not, you can just download it. (Yes, you need WINE to run Windows programs - I don't know of other emulators.)

shadowz

Quote from: Yoni on May 06, 2003, 07:22 PM
Dual-booting is a feature available in grub, lilo and the NT boot loader (and others I don't know of, probably). Depending on which you have installed in the MBR, it's a little different, but it should be possible regardless of what distribution of Linux you use.

WINE: Also unrelated to which distribution you use. I don't know whether Mandrake comes with WINE. If not, you can just download it. (Yes, you need WINE to run Windows programs - I don't know of other emulators.)

so does Windows 2000 Professional may have it, because I was told Mandrake comes with the dual-boot feature

Raven

Linux is Linux. It really doesn't matter whether you bought Red Hat or Mandrake or any other distributor; the only differences is usually what kind of little toys they may be bundled with.

Yoni

Quote from: Raven on May 06, 2003, 10:06 PMbought
Ewww... This is Linux. You have the option to get it for free, and it's even legal. :(