• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What laptop should i buy?

Started by BaDDBLooD, July 26, 2005, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaDDBLooD

I am going to be buying a laptop and was wondering what laptops you all use, and what you think i should buy.

Thank You

- Joel
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Maddox

I just got an Acer TravelMate 8100, suits me.
asdf.

BaDDBLooD

Quote from: Maddox on July 26, 2005, 05:17 PM

What do you use yours for?
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

hismajesty

What's your price range and intended use?

Maddox

Quote from: BaDDBLooD on July 26, 2005, 05:18 PM

I shopped around for a while looking at different computers. I bought the notebook for its gaming capabilities. It has a 128MB ATI X700 graphics card. I also use it for programming, graphic work, and just general office stuff. I bought the 8103 version and put another 1GB stick of ram in it, so now I have 1.5GB of DDR2 ram. It's worked out pretty well, no regrets on the purchase.
asdf.

BaDDBLooD

Quote from: Maddox on July 26, 2005, 05:30 PM
Quote from: BaDDBLooD on July 26, 2005, 05:18 PM

I shopped around for a while looking at different computers. I bought the notebook for its gaming capabilities. It has a 128MB ATI X700 graphics card. I also use it for programming, graphic work, and just general office stuff. I bought the 8103 version and put another 1GB stick of ram in it, so now I have 1.5GB of DDR2 ram. It's worked out pretty well, no regrets on the purchase.

I want it for the exact same reasons.  Price range, uh.... 1,500 or so give or take a few hundred :P

nslay

Thinkpad all the way :)
It's the most durable and secure laptop I've ever had.
Now they even have biometrics (which is not THAT much more secure)

The one I have has a security chip that stores the encryption key so its next to impossible to retrieve.  It encrypts/decrypts the data on the harddrive transparently.  It also has the option to store commonly used passwords so you don't have to keep them on your drive or type them in.

The only other models I know that have the security chip technology are HP laptops, but Hostile told me they have power problems.  My former room mate's HP laptop's screen started to malfunction and go white within 6 months of purchase.

With near 100 patents on the design, you can rest assured that they are very well built and very durable.  There was a commercial I saw that they "brace for impact" when dropped.

One note, I recommend the Pentium M over the Pentium IV, just for battery power purposes...a new Lithium battery and Pentium M can operate at around 6 hours depending on what you're doing.

I also recommend a warranty because laptop parts are very pricey if they do break.  The CD RW/DVD drive on mine can cost up to $300.

I'm not sure about Linux, but many versions of *BSD will run without a problem on Thinkpads (FreeBSD recognizes all my hardware).

BaDDBLooD

Quote from: nslay on July 26, 2005, 07:44 PM
Thinkpad all the way :)
It's the most durable and secure laptop I've ever had.
Now they even have biometrics (which is not THAT much more secure)

The one I have has a security chip that stores the encryption key so its next to impossible to retrieve.  It encrypts/decrypts the data on the harddrive transparently.  It also has the option to store commonly used passwords so you don't have to keep them on your drive or type them in.

The only other models I know that have the security chip technology are HP laptops, but Hostile told me they have power problems.  My former room mate's HP laptop's screen started to malfunction and go white within 6 months of purchase.

With near 100 patents on the design, you can rest assured that they are very well built and very durable.  There was a commercial I saw that they "brace for impact" when dropped.

One note, I recommend the Pentium M over the Pentium IV, just for battery power purposes...a new Lithium battery and Pentium M can operate at around 6 hours depending on what you're doing.

I also recommend a warranty because laptop parts are very pricey if they do break.  The CD RW/DVD drive on mine can cost up to $300.

I'm not sure about Linux, but many versions of *BSD will run without a problem on Thinkpads (FreeBSD recognizes all my hardware).

Thanks for the information.

Topaz

Dell Insipiron. The battery runs for about 3 hours under heavy load, probably 5 hours with regular use. I have one, and it rocks :-)

Lenny

Laptops shouldn't be used for gaming, therefore you shouldn't consider that factor in buying a laptop.  Laptops never perform nearly as well as a desktop (even one at a much lower cost) as far as gaming is concerned.

Laptops are perfect for productivity and mobility.  It really depends on how you use the laptop which determines what brand you should buy.

But I would probably recommend Dell, since they have great deals.

Thinkpads are good laptops as well, but I personally don't think they're worth the price.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

hismajesty

When I get a new laptop before college gaming is certainly going to be a factor. Sure, I probably won't game as much then as I do now, but I'm going to want it to be able to run the games I do want to play decently.

warz

Most new laptops now can run games similarly as well as desktops.

Lenny

IMO, its better to have a cheap laptop and a good desktop rather than just a good laptop.

Remember, laptops are nowhere near as expandable as desktops.  One or two years down the line, the laptop won't even be able to run any of the newest games.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

iago

Quote from: Lenny on July 26, 2005, 11:27 PM
IMO, its better to have a cheap laptop and a good desktop rather than just a good laptop.

Remember, laptops are nowhere near as expandable as desktops.  One or two years down the line, the laptop won't even be able to run any of the newest games.

IMO, it's better to have a cheap desktop and a good laptop rather than just a good desktop.

Why?  Because my laptop goes everywhere with me.  I can bring it to work, my dad's, my friend's, and I can still play the same games there.  I bought mine almost a year ago, and it's still in good shape. 

At the rate technology is increasing, most computers end up being junked in 1-2 years anyway, and totally replaced (maybe with some salvaged parts like video card).  Your motherboard won't support the newest technology in 2 years.

But back to the subject at hand: I really like Intel's Centrino.  The Pentium-M processor runs cool and fast, and the onboard ipw2200 network card runs great with Windows or Linux, although both OS's require you to have drivers.  My drivers are stored on my iPod. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Tazo

Plus dell has that warranty thing, accidental damage or whatever, drop it and they will send you a new one  :D